Philips Hue RGBW downlight changes color temp when dimmed

Just installed my first Inovelli switch (blue 2-1) that is bound (zigbee2mqtt) to two Philips Hue recessed downlights, which by default they are set for a daylight color temp. When I use the switch to turn on and off the lights they behave as they should and stay on the daylight color temp, but when I dim the lights using the switch they change to a warm white color temp. Even when I bring them back to full brightness they stay on the warm white. I then have to manually go into HomeAssistant to change color temp back to the daylight temp. Any suggestions on what is causing this?

Update: Forgot the mention that I have the switch in “smart bulb” mode.

1 Like

I don’t have a solution, but FYI, the color shifting under HA was also reported by @raph .

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with my rgb/white ambiance Hue lights (recessed and other ceiling fixtures) when using zigbee binding to the blue dimmers. I don’t think this has anything to do with HA due to this happening when dimming via direct binding (no controller or HA in the middle). This also only happens when physically dimming at the switch. If I set the brightness of the dimmer via zigbee2mqtt, it dims the bulbs without adjusting the color temperature.

1 Like

ahh it’s comforting to know i am not the only one with this issue. I cannot find any parameters for default dimming color/temperature or anything like that. watching this thread!

1 Like

Interesting, can you guys let me know what the start value is for the Hue bulbs? Like xxxx Kelvin?

I’ll test it tonight on Hubitat to see what happens. Admittedly, I have not tested the warm/cool bindings. I only did on/off/dim when it was set to a color.

Edit: I’m seeing the same thing on Hubitat. @EricM_Inovelli - can you take a look at this when you get a chance?

My starting point was 6500K at 100%. When I dimmed it down, it went to warm. I also noticed that the values of the bulb don’t change in the app.

2 Likes

While testing I’ve been setting it between 6000-7000k, but it doesn’t seem to matter - if you dim while in any cool white regardless of starting point, it goes warm.

2 Likes

Seeing same behavior with Hue RGBW Slim Downlight, Hue A19 RGBW Bulb, and Hue White Ambiance Filament bulb.

1 Like

I’m most interested in the likelihood of this being able to be solved via a firmware update vs it being something that is the nature of the binding on this switch to hue bulbs. Unsure if that’s reasonable to speculate on at this point?

Can anyone perhaps confirm if this also impacts non-Hue color temp shifting bulbs? Plenty of time left on the 30 day return window, but curious nonetheless before I install the rest of them across my house.

2 Likes

We do have the engineers looking into the issue. The strange thing is that I have 2 different versions of the Hue bulb. It happens on one of them, but not the other. Also does not happen on my Sylvania bulbs. A workaround is to use scenes instead of binding, but I’m sure we will get it fixed if it is a problem with the switch.

For Hubitat users here is an example of the workaround. Response time is actually really good, but I know it isn’t a permanent solution for those of you that want to use binding.

6 Likes

thanks for the update! is there a walk through for using scenes and the blue switch?

Remind me what hub/gateway you’re using? I think I wrote the instructions for Hubitat and SmartThings, but still have HA to do. I can whip something up quickly for you.

Edit: I’ll also try some Innr bulbs to see if they experience the same issues later today.

3 Likes

HA / ZHA is what i’m using. thank you!

I’m using HA with z2m.

I also have this problem with Z2M and the newest Hue 100W equivalent RGB bulbs.

1 Like

Just tested with Innr on Hubitat and I do not experience this issue.

Really wondering what the difference is with Hue.

1 Like

What color mode does the Innr bulb report when dimming? Hue bulbs are only displaying this behavior in CT (color_temp) mode and I know some rgb bulbs don’t support that mode- could the Innr be staying in an RGB (xy/hs) mode and, therefore, not experience this issue? Wondering if this is a Hue-specific issue vs a CT color mode issue.

I’ll have to check when I get back home, but you may be on to something.

Edit: Innr

Cool White

Warm White

Green

Blue

Philips Hue BR30

Cool White

Warm White

Green

Blue

The firmware engineers seem to have identified the part of the level command that is causing certain (newer?) Hue bulbs to change color temperature. I’m hoping to hear tonight about what the resolution will be. I’ll keep the thread updated.

8 Likes

This is also happening with Smartthings and Hue LCD006 rgbw down lights (newer version).

I’ve got a firmware fix that looks like it has fixed the issue. I’ll do some more testing and release it early next week if all goes well.

11 Likes