Philips Hue RGBW downlight changes color temp when dimmed

What color mode does the Innr bulb report when dimming? Hue bulbs are only displaying this behavior in CT (color_temp) mode and I know some rgb bulbs don’t support that mode- could the Innr be staying in an RGB (xy/hs) mode and, therefore, not experience this issue? Wondering if this is a Hue-specific issue vs a CT color mode issue.

I’ll have to check when I get back home, but you may be on to something.

Edit: Innr

Cool White

Warm White

Green

Blue

Philips Hue BR30

Cool White

Warm White

Green

Blue

The firmware engineers seem to have identified the part of the level command that is causing certain (newer?) Hue bulbs to change color temperature. I’m hoping to hear tonight about what the resolution will be. I’ll keep the thread updated.

8 Likes

This is also happening with Smartthings and Hue LCD006 rgbw down lights (newer version).

I’ve got a firmware fix that looks like it has fixed the issue. I’ll do some more testing and release it early next week if all goes well.

11 Likes

That’s amazing news- thanks for being on top of this, @EricM_Inovelli and team!

1 Like

awesome thanks! just curious if this has been released? I’m not aware of how to upgrade the firmware on the switches through HA… i also have another 12 to install, wonder if i should wait.

It supports OTA. Install away!

Is the update available? I just checked in Z2M and got an error message that the installed firmware is newer than the latest firmware online.

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 10.47.29 AM

awesome! how? :blush:

The update has not been published yet.

Once it has, if you have inovelli_provider: true set in your configuration file per the ZHA OTA config then you can either wait for them to auto-update, or go to dev tools and issue the cluster command referenced in the same section to get it kicked off. I’ll give the caveat that currently we can’t do local pushes from HA without making changes to the zigpy code, but it will come!

Just note, you will want to disable that configuration by setting it to false or removing the line if you do not want devices to automatically update in the future.

Edit to add, I can’t speak to the firmware update process in Z2M, but should be same process you’re following today @tigers just needs the firmware published.

3 Likes

Firmware update should be available:

2 Likes

Just commenting to confirm that the firmware update fixed this issue for me on all my Hue bulbs- thanks Eric and team!

2 Likes

also fixed for me (ty), but i’m now having nightly ‘updates’ where all the switches go green, and my lights go to 100% when doing this, including my bedroom which is not ideal at 4am…

any reason multiple updates are occurring? or have them been a few releases the last 3 days? shutting them off for now…

LED bar brightness or your actual load? Smart bulbs?

I haven’t had any load lights turn on at all during the update process. However I just have a normal light load so I’d be curious if yours is set up with smart bulbs

Fixes are being actively worked to fix some of the issues others are seeing.

Smart bulb mode is enabled, and all Hue lights.

The LED bar first blinks green (full brightness), the hue down lights blink twice and go to 100%, then the light bar switches to the green ‘progress bar’.

Interesting. It may have to do with the SMB or Hue fixes, but you’re right, it’s be nice if it didn’t make your lights flash. The switch reboots after the firmware update so it may just be normal for SBM as the load is shifted from 100-0-100 for the reboot (guessing here).

I’d definitely opt for deferring updates over night. Is there a scheduler for OTA on HA?

that would make sense - ha yes not ideal, wife was pist.

there’s no scheduler, just a text switch in the configuration.yaml . I have definitely disabled it now. is there a mailing list for new firmware releases? just so i know when to turn this back on…

You can probably sign up for alerts through the forum, but EricM has been posting the update notes here:

2 Likes

Do you have the ability to change your hue “power restore state” to “last state”? That might prevent the lights from coming on.

1 Like