Red series dimmer switch status after power outage

After a power outage I have one switch defaults to no load passthrough. I have it set for load pass through though.
—-
Disable Local Control
Disable ability to control switch from the wall
YES
—-

Also Ive had trouble setting that value from Hubitat. I’ve to manually do it via the switch.

Ideas? Other switches seem fine.

I also have another switch that seems to have trouble with power pass through as some lights flicker

Anyone? @Eric_Inovelli ?

Sorry, but I really don’t understand what you are saying. :anguished:

If you can rephrase the problem into a more understandable problem statement we can probably help you better. :blush:

Hey sorry – let me see if I’m understanding correctly as well.

What are you trying to accomplish here as your default?

I think what you’re experiencing is normal if I’m understanding it correctly. When there is a power outage, when the power comes back on, the switch should default to, “off”:

But I’m not understanding what you mean by disabling local control – could you help me there? Sorry, it’s been a long day thus far lol

What load are you controlling on your switch? Possibly it is a loose wire or maybe the bulb is just not compatible unfortunately. Also, do you experience flickering at certain levels (ie: low level or high level dimming) or all the time?

Hang in there, we’ll figure it out!

Correct me but, when you do the disable local control, you are effectively passing the hot power load through to the end fixture/device to be powered 100%. Which is perfect for Hue bulbs.

When I turn off a breaker or power goes out, I have one switch that no longer passes that power load to the end device/fixture. The setting flips back. Other switches I have don’t do this. I have had to program the switch with the issue manually because it wouldn’t take the settings via hubitat.

I also have another switch that has had load pass through issues. In that some lights have flickered and not ramped on to the desired CCT when the button has been pushed.

Again this is only on 2 switches. Both red series dimmers. I have a 3rd that hasn’t given me any troubles. And several other scene enabled switches that I don’t have problems with.

So there are two functions/concepts here. Depending on the firmware level, the two functions may be separate or may be combined into one parameter.

Disable Local Control simply makes it so you cannot physically control the load with the paddle. If you have a load connected to the switch and the switch/light is on, it will stay that way no matter how many times you press the paddle.

Smart Bulb Mode (SBM) insures that the dimmer always passes 100% power (99 in Zwave, actually) on to the bulb. So if a smart bulb is powered with SBM turned on, you can work the paddle on the dimmer but you will not be able to DIM the bulb.

In older firmwares, this was two separate parameters. In new firmwares, this has been combined into one parameter that has several settings to provide both functionalities.

So I think what you are thinking DLC is is actually SBM.

Post the firmware that you are on so that someone can provide you the appropriate parameter and setting for what you’re trying to accomplish.

1 Like

Ok, here’s my Firmware versions. I recall the method though to use Hue bulbs was DLC and allow zwave/hub to handle the light control. Now it’s SB? BTW, on DLC, there is no dimming control either. What’s the issue is I have it enabled on all my switches, only one has lost settings after power restore.

Red Series dimmers:
Flickering switch * firmware : 1.35
Lost settings switch * firmware : 1.35
No problems switch * firmware : 1.35

Should I be using SB now instead? I thought SB was for zwave associated bulbs right to the switch.

So for both Zwave or Zigbee smart bulbs, you want both turned on. You want SBM on because you don’t want the bulb to receive anything less than full power and you want DLC on because you don’t want the switch directly controlling the bulb wired to it.

For 1.35, you have those settings in two separate parameters.

Basically, for Hue (Zigbee) bulbs, you need to turn the switch into a scene controller where you use the tap function of the dimmer to tell the hub to run a scene (you’ll probably have multiple) to set the bulb(s)’ illumination level.

Smart bulb didn’t fix my issue.

When the breaker is turned off and the switch loses power. It doesn’t return to a power pass through state.

Other switches do. This one does not. It renders it useless until I reprogram it again.

@Eric_Inovelli help please.

I have 3 other inovelli switches in the same breaker that do not exhibit this behavior.

2 other red series scene control and 1 gen 1 switch.

You have set parameter 11 to 99? Can you capture a screenshot of your parameter settings?

Just to be clear on parameters, there is no “power pass through state” parameter. For 1.35, you achieve that through setting multiple parameters.

1 - Turn on SBM. This insures that the bulb always receives full power, but it has nothing to do with any control of the dimmer turning on or off.

2 - Turn on the dimmer so the bulb is illuminated.

3 - Enable DLC. This insures that you can’t turn the bulb off via the dimmer. (You can still do so via the hub/Zwave.)

4 - As @kreene1987 advised, set the State After Power Restored, Parameter 11 to 99. This tells the switch to turn on after a power outage. With SBM enabled, this will be at full power to the smart bulb.

@kreene1987 I have never adjusted this setting on any other of my dozen switches, why this one?

@Bry You can achieve power pass through just via DLC in Hubitat or pushing the config button 8 times.

I have done this on my dozen other switches. I have never set parameter 11 on any switch. Again I have 2 other red series scene on/off switches on the same breaker that return to service with no issues.

The switch with an issue defaults to no power pass-through with relay disabled, pushing the switch results in no lights turning on and no power being pushed to the bulb. It has to be reconfigured to function again at all.

Switch with problem Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN

State Variables

• parameter2value : 101
  • parameter21value : 1
  • parameter5value : 1
  • actualAssociation4 : []
  • actualAssociation3 : []
  • parameter10value : 0
  • parameter8value : 0
  • oldLabel : Mila Bedroom Switch
  • parameter19value : 3600
  • parameter13value : 212
  • rfProtectionState : 0
  • parameter22value : 0
  • lastRan : 1627436180004
  • parameter3value : 101
  • parameter9value : 0
  • parameter6value : 99
  • parameter17value : 3
  • localProtectionState : 1
  • parameter14value : 5
  • parameter11value : 0
  • associationGroups : 4
  • parameter7value : 0
  • parameter15value : 2
  • parameter4value : 101
  • parameter18value : 10
  • needfwUpdate : false
  • defaultG3 : []
  • actualAssociation2 : []
  • parameter1value : 3
  • defaultG2 : []
  • actualAssociation1 : [01]
  • defaultG1 : [01]
  • parameter12value : 15
  • parameter20value : 10

Yes, pressing config 8x will toggle DLC. But as I explained above, DLC is not “power pass through”, as there is no such parameter.

Turn the switch off, enable DLC, now press the switch. You will find that is will pass through, as you term it, exactly . . . nothing.

1 Like

DLC, disable local control. Yes. it removes the switch from activating the relay. Now if you configure DLC when the relay is enabled, it is doing power pass through.

The issue being now, is other switches will restore this state when the power comes back. This switch is not. Maybe my other red series dimmers have this fault also, I only have 2 others installed and haven’t tested them completly. When power is restored, DLC is active with the relay disabled, making this switch non-functional. What is the difference and why? Why do other switches (red on/off and Gen1) return to relay-enabled not requiring me to reconfigure it after a power outage?
@Eric_Inovelli

1 Like

There is your problem … 0 means “off after power restored”

1 Like

@mamber, why do I not need it on my other switches?