Red series dimmer switch status after power outage

Hard for any of us to say without looking at them too. Post a list of their config settings and look for differences. I suspect they are not all configured the same.

Why don’t you just try what we are telling you and see if it fixes the problem?

I also suggest setting Parameters 9 and 10 to 99 which sets the default level to 99. Should not be required with SBM enabled, but it never hurts to set all the parameters to match the desired behaviour.

Your firmware is very old. I believe SBM wasn’t added untll after the v1.35 you’re running. So you may need a combination of other parameter settings to get the desired result. But the better solution is to update your firmware since v1.35 is really Really old and there have been many fixes/enhancements

1 Like

@mamber Because I’m curious to the change and reason in the default behavior. I have a dozen switches active currently, many of them Gen 1 an red series on/off that don’t exhibit this behavior.

My red series LZW30 doesn’t require this setting to restore back functional when power is removed. Why does this LZW31 need it? Out of 3 different switch models, the red dimmers only have the issue.

Sorry. It’s an extra nuance/annoyance to setting up an entire house with 20 some switches and 100 hue bulbs. Setting Hubitat rules is already bad enough.

There is a big difference between configuring On/Off switches and Dimmers. Dimmers have more configuragble options than On/Off switches and the parameter numbers do not always match exactly. So you shouldn’t be expecting Dimmers to be configured exactly the same as the On/Off switches. Its similar, but different. Not Apples/Oranges different, but a maybe like Lemons/Oranges different :wink:

Also note that I believe everyone else responding to this thread has successfully configured Red Dimmers to do what you want by following the steps we’ve given you. Curiosity is fine, but lets move on to get you working first. Try the steps you’ve been given and then report back if its working or not.

It doesn’t need to be. I use Hubitat with over 40 Red dimmers in my house and am not having any difficulty. Maybe you’re not using the right tool for the right task. Have you tried using Preference Manager app in Hubitat? Its made for this very purpose (setting the same parameters across multiple devices)

As a zwave to Hue scene controller, none of those functions are of importance. I only got the red series dimmer for the larger light bar. Setting parameter 11 to 99 works. But again is NOT necessary on any of the other switches.

I’ll give that a try, setting rules for evening, daytime, sunset transitions, and different scenes per room that are all the same is tedious.

Pleasea read again what I wrote…

The Parameter that controls “State After Power Restored” is different between the Switches and Dimmers. As previously noted, its Parameter 11 on the Dimmers , but its Parameter 1 on the Switches. Also noted previously, Dimmers are by necessity more complex than switches and are not configured exactly the same.

Are you using the Groups and Rooms features of Hubitat? Those are also tools that Hubitat provides for making rules and scenes less tedious when multiple devices need to be controlled

Sorry @mattb93 – I meant to pop in sooner.

Admittedly, I’m struggling to understand what’s happening here, but I’ve also been up at 3am with a sick toddler, so my mind is kind of shot. Let me see if I can recap this so I can better understand – very sorry for having to have you explain this again.

• You are having a problem with Smart Bulb Mode with Red Dimmers Only
  • The smart dimmers you have a problem with are running firmware version 1.35
  • Only 2 of the 3 dimmers you have exhibit this problem (so, one works fine)
  • What seems to be happening is when power outage happens (or you flip the breaker), the dimmers do not seem to be powering the Hue lights (ie: switch comes back on, but your hue lights do not)

I think I may understand what’s happening here, but I can’t explain why your one switch is working correctly bc if it’s on 1.35, it should have the same bug the other switches have on 1.35.

I can’t remember the specifics of the bug, but it did affect exactly what you’re talking about (I’ll try to find the community link if I can) EDIT: Couldn’t find the community link, but from our change-log, 1.41 addresses the issue (1.35 was the original firmware):

This is bc SBM does not exist on 1.35 and so even if you checked it on Hubitat, the firmware doesn’t exist on the physical device. Can you try upgrading to 1.57? This is going to be the latest firmware version on our next round of dimmers and has SBM optimized on it.

NET: Can you upgrade your switches to 1.57 for me, click on SBM and see if that fixes your issue?

Very sorry for the frustration, but I’m pretty positive this will fix all your issues.

To update the firmware, please follow these steps: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-to-update-your-dimmer-switch-firmware-hubitat

PS - I know this is an older way of updating firmware, but I’ve had way more success doing it this way, so it’s the way we recommend

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli Thank you. I will try to update firmware. That would make sense if there is an issue on those not operating the same default as the others.

To summarize:
I have Hubitat and Hue
I am using the switches as zwave controllers/scene only.
I wired them normally (load and line connections) to use the relay in the switch to allow the power pass through to Hue bulbs and simple re-config to put it back to switched load.
After testing 3 Red dimmers do not operate the same with regard to power outage compared to other Gen 1 and Red on/off switches. So it seems it’s a LZW31 issue.

I will upgrade the firmware and see if this helps. Having to deviate and make special considerations for device configs that others do by default just makes another thing that I would possibly continue to miss and forget to do with the abundance of stuff that already has to be configured in Hubitat.

Awesome, thanks for summarizing – that was super helpful actually. I’m confident it will fix your problem by upgrading to 1.57 based on what you’re saying.

I feel like there are 2 completely different convo’s happening interchangeably.

Do you want power to return after the line (breaker) is turned off and back on, or do you want constant power all the time to the bulb, or both?

Parameter 11 is after line is cut off it returns power to 99 if set to 99, normally it stays off (so a power blip doesn’t blind you in the middle of the night).

SBM mode was introduced in later firmwares as a more robust solution, for sure. Glad to hear Parameter 11 is working as intended.

I think he just wants his smart bulbs to work properly after a power outage. Bc basically what seems to be happening is when power is restored, power isn’t being sent back to the bulb and at the same time local protection is enabled so the switch won’t turn back on the bulb when he taps the switch. So he has to go back through the process of disabling local protection, turning the switch to 100 and then enabling local protection.

There was a bug in 1.35 where this process didn’t work as intended in some cases and when power was restored, the switch always reverted to off instead of whatever level is set to come back on when local protection was enabled. I don’t think Parameter 11 had any issues if local protection wasn’t enabled, it was only when it was enabled. But this was a while ago, so my memory could also be shot here.

1 Like

Precisely. If firmware fixes this that would be perfect to work just as all the other switches. I should be able to get them updated in a day or two. Thank you.

I’m remodeling the entire house and when people can’t use switches after I’ve turned a breaker back on from doing work it’s frustrating for everyone.

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli Ok, firmware updated to 1.57 on one switch to test. Results are broken button commands.

South bedroom reports “button 1 held” even with multiple taps. I have not changed anything on the config of the device from previous and only items changed from default are LED color and disable local control. I tried turning smart bulb on and off and no change. Mila bedroom switch is not upgraded and showing how it invoked button 3 for a multiple tap for scene change.

dev:4172021-08-09 03:11:35.452 pm infoSouth Bedroom Switch: Button 1 was held

dev:4172021-08-09 03:11:33.597 pm infoSouth Bedroom Switch: Button 1 was held

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:31.784 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Power report received with value of 27.3 W

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:30.771 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Power report received with value of 8.1 W

dev:412021-08-09 03:11:29.573 pm infoGroup Mila Bedroom LG level was set to 100%

dev:412021-08-09 03:11:29.451 pm infoGroup Mila Bedroom LG color temperature was set to 4505°K

dev:4862021-08-09 03:11:29.248 pm infoMila Bedroom Daylight was turned on

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:29.195 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Button 1 was pushed

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:28.759 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Power report received with value of 1.7 W

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:27.758 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Power report received with value of 5.4 W

dev:412021-08-09 03:11:26.110 pm infoGroup Mila Bedroom LG level was set to 25%

dev:412021-08-09 03:11:26.009 pm infoGroup Mila Bedroom LG color temperature was set to 2703°K

dev:4872021-08-09 03:11:25.776 pm infoMila Bedroom Evening Dim 25 was turned on

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:25.726 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Button 3 was held

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:23.196 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Firmware Target 1 report received: firmware 1.34

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:23.193 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: Firmware report received: 1.35

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:22.191 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: parameter ‘1’ with a byte size of ‘1’ is set to ‘3’

dev:4822021-08-09 03:11:20.147 pm infoMila Bedroom Switch: parameter ‘1’ with a byte size of ‘1’ is set to ‘3’

— Live Log Started, waiting for events —

@Eric_Inovelli

Hey @mattb93 – let me bring in @EricM_Inovelli as I’m not too familiar with what’s being posted from a coding perspective.

One thing you can try is to delete the device handler that you installed, and then re-install it using the one located here: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/smartthings-device-handlers

Ah yes. That would make sense. Didn’t realize I tagged a different Eric.

Lol it’s all good - it’s confusing!

@EricM_Inovelli updated device handler and no fix for scene activation.

• Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN
  • Author: Eric Maycock (erocm123)
  • Date: 2021-06-30

Do I need to revert back to a earlier firmware?

How did you do the firmware update? If you are going from 1.35 to 1.57 it is probably best to do a factory reset to change all config parameters to valid values. Otherwise some button presses may not be interpreted correctly.

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli hubitat instructions posted above. I can reset, is there a way to do this in hubitat?
The only parameters that I’ve changed are LED color and DLC.