Red Series Fan + Light Switch (Z-Wave) with Fanimation Wrap Custom fans

Hi guys,

I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the Fan + Light switch and have placed my order for 5 of them today. In reviewing the documentation I realized that the wireless fan control module’s wiring does not match up with the wiring on my existing fan controllers. I have Fanimation Wrap Custom fans. The wiring diagram for this model of fan can be found on page 10 in this guide. I have also posted an image below.

Does anyone have an idea for how would the wiring out of the Red Series Fan + Light switch map to the Fanimation Wrap Custom fan?

Hey @grdavies - thanks so much for reaching out and for joining the community!

So… I unfortunately have bad news… The switch is only compatible with AC motors, where it looks like the Fanimation is a DC motor.

Idk if that has anything to do with the wiring being different, but I wanted to at least call that out now.

From the spec sheet: AC/DC Motor Compatibility: Only compatible with AC Motors

Wish I had better news :frowning:

Edit - Eric beat me to it. Bummer, ignore below.

Wow - that is a lot of wires running in there.

The black and white coming from the ceiling are pretty obvious where they go.

It looks like the wires running up from motor are the ones left to figure out.

Blue -
Black/White -
Red -
Gray -
Yellow -

So… breaking those down, it looks like 2 are for the light. I would guess it is the Blue and the black and white. First, take a multimeter on those pairs while powered on to see what the voltage is. If the 18W LEDs on the fan run off of 120V, then you should be able to connect the neutral to the white wire and the light load to the inovelli blue wire. If they are stepping down the voltage because the LED in the fan is custom and using the controller for the required AC -> DC circuit, then you might be out of luck there and the light part wont work.

I am guessing the Red, Gray, and Yellow run the fan motor and now I am out of my depth. It could be that one is a neutral, and the other two are for running the fan in either direction? Unfortunately, the inovelli fan switch does not have the option/wiring to reverse direction of the fan. It relies on a hardware switch on the fan to select direction. You would hook the inovelli red wire up to the load wire in the direction you want it to rotate. This is are purely guesses though.

Hope that helps a little. Not the best news but there is hope that you can get it wired up to run in one direction with the light working.

As always, I could be completely wrong on this so anyone feel free to correct me.

I know this thread is old, but I just got done hooking a Blue 2-1 to this fan+light (switch installed just for the light circuit). I bypassed the canopy module for the light (ran blue wire to switch load) and it does turn on/off as expected.

My issue is that the dimmer doesn’t work. The bulbs are allegedly 18W dimmable, and the canopy module does let them dim. With full power, the light is max brightness. Lowering it a few % doesn’t change brightness. There’s a spot around 75% load where the light seems to flicker between on/off, but no dim effect.

I’m assuming these integrated bulbs have some trickery that requires the canopy to dim and can just use the switch in on/off mode, but figured I’d check if anybody else has ran into this and whether they found a solution.

You may try trailing edge vs leading edge mode.

Good idea. I’ve never messed with toggling that before: is there a parameter I need to manually set on the switch, or can I just toggle it by choosing Single Pole/Single Pole Full Sine?

Edit: Just tried toggling those modes, and they don’t seem to change anything. One interesting observation is that it seems like different ranges are doing different things. I wonder if that’s because the canopy can set different color temps on the white, and this is just how the light functions? For example:

15% - dim, fast flicker
70% - noticeably brighter, flicker to 100% once per second
78%+ - full brightness, no flicker

Any ideas what I should try next? And thanks!

Just make sure you’re on 2.15 firmware.

Okay, so I’ve got a neutral and this is a single pole wiring. I tried toggling to three way modes anyway, but they all seem to behave the same. Massive flickering at any level aside from max, basically.

I’m on ZHA… maybe there’s a zigbee parameter that I need to find in there to manually toggle it?

One interesting thing: this light has “color temp” settings when used with its canopy, and maybe it’s an illusion, but it feels like non-maxed loads might have a different temperature (they all flicker at different rates, so could be my imagination).