Speed of new switches and dimmers?

(Re)adding my $0.02 to this thread…

I really do appreciate having the ability to completely eliminate the 700ms delay. But the expense of all scene control is a hefty price! I would wonder if there is a way to make this a bit more adjustable? For example I find that double taps are by far the most useful scene control on any of the dimmers and switches in my home. I only have one scene triggered by a triple tap and that is easily achieved using some other means. But that double tap is extremely useful.

So perhaps there’s a drop down on the device page where it would be possible to choose the number of taps enabled for scene control vs milliseconds of delay. If absolute zero delay is most important and that particular switch/dimmer has no scene functionality needs then by all means disable all of them. But for some, like myself, double tap, triple tap, etc might be that “point too far.”

I’d also wonder if adjusting the amount of elapsed time considered as a multiple tap event could be shortened overall? I happen to find the double tap rate to be extremely “forgiving” on Inovelli switches in general.

Again my $0.02. I really like what I am seeing in the latest firmwares and the drivers on GitHub so I am eager to see whatever is next!

@Eric_Inovelli - thanks! I was just about to buy a bunch of Inovelli switches as we’re doing a major electrical remodel but the 700ms delay would be a showstopper. Should I wait until August to order to ensure I get the ones that do not have the delay? Thanks!

You’re welcome! Happy to help :slight_smile:

It’s hard to say bc there may still be old stock at Amazon, which is where we house our inventory.

What you could do is order the 10pks off our website as those will for sure have the new firmware on them as it’s a new SKU.

Hope that helps!

@Eric_Inovelli - Thanks! So it’s just firmware? So even if I get the old switches I should still be fine and just need to update the firmware?

Yes correct - the only thing that’s changing is firmware :slight_smile:

You’ll find that making the delay configurable has been requested multiple times in this thread and Inovelli has said they’re looking into it as an alternate firmware (so it won’t be the primary firmware). Fingers crossed that we get that soon.

Delay for dimmer is configurable in beta 1.47, and frankly, its AMAZING!

1 Like

When you say configurable, I think you mean either “turn off the delay and lose scene control” or keep it around 700ms. When folks on this thread say “configurable”, they’re referring to “making it a value you set (e.g. 300ms) and keeping scene control”. So the delay is not yet configurable but can be turned off.

2 Likes

Agreed. There is no delay configuration parameter yet. That would be great.

1 Like

Yeah, I personally am waiting till it’s configurable. Folks in my house have gotten used to the scene control so even though they don’t like the delay, I can’t take away the scene control now.

Going to throw my hat in the ring here too.

I would much prefer to have the delay settable instead of just on or off and lose scene control (kinda defeats the purpose of paying more for Scene-Enabled “SN” devices).

Is it really that hard to make the 0-255 byte value be a timing value rather than just 0/1 off/on? It could be in 100ms or possibly 10ms increments. For example, values 1,2,3,etc would be 100ms, 200ms, 300ms, etc. Or possibly values 25, 50, 75, etc. would be 250ms, 500ms, 750ms, etc.

700ms just seems way too slow for all or nothing. I think a lot of people can “double-click” a lot faster than that. 500ms is very easy to double-click and 300ms (3 clicks per second) very do-able for most humans. This would allow full scene control to remain while provide a much quicker response to the single-click on / single-click off

@Eric_Inovelli INOVELLI please, Please, PLEASE make this a settable value…even it its as simple as a few fixed values to choose from a list (like 300ms, 500ms, 700ms). Locked-at-700ms or no scene control is not an acceptable solution

2 Likes

Not an acceptable solution? Dang you guys are hard to please!

Start Rant:

So, the problem here is that we’ve had to outsource our coding to our manufacturer, so it’s not as simple as just updating something quickly, especially when they’re working on multiple projects for us at once. We’re a small team of 7, with @EricM_Inovelli leading the way from a technological side, managing our firmware engineers. In addition, while he may know how to code this himself, our manufacturer has kept the firmware source code to themselves (long story for another day) so we don’t have the ability to just make some quick edits. We have to wait for them to help us, but as noted, we have multiple projects going on at once.

As for this feature (configuring the ms), yes, we recognize that this is something that a few people want and we’ll do our best to do it as we do try our best to incorporate everything.

Speaking of incorporating everything, it’s hard to do so given the space limitations on the Z-Wave 500 Series Chipset. As you may remember, we had to actually add an additional MCU to process the, “basic” commands while the Z-Wave chip processed the more advanced ones (hence Target 0 and Target 1), so it’s also very challenging to add this level of complexity as we run into space issues.

Anyway, sorry for losing my mind, just wanted to give some context as our team has worked incredibly hard on this firmware.

End Rant.

5 Likes

I appreciate the extra info behind the scenes and realize there is a lot in the coding and micro-code that you don’t have direct control over. I’m not looking for a quick solution, but I do think the current solution is really just a temporary band-aid and the dialog for a long-term solution needs to continue

I’m generally quite tolerant and don’t mind testing and using beta releases. But in this case I feel confident in saying that the given solution, which essentially DISABLES Scene Control and has been indicated as the target for production release, is not acceptable as a long-term solution. Its nice to have a band-aid, but that is not a solution.

Think about it. Why would anyone pay more for a Red Series if they have to cripple the scene control to get less on-delay? I might as well save money and buy the Black Series to get instant on with no scenes, right?

What am I missing here?

I’m just going to go out on a limb, and say we aren’t hard to please. We just found a company equally passionate about home automation willing to listen to what we want from our devices.

What rant? This looks like a company being honest and up front about things! Please keep doing this!

Just remember to include an “if found return” card :wink:

6 Likes

Technically there are still scenes on the red series with that delay removed, but I get your point. I still find the red series with the limited scenes quite useful when controlling smart bulbs. We are still working on a version with an adjustable ms delay for the people that want to play mortal kombat in turbo mode on their switches though.

6 Likes

Is Liu Kang’s kicks 200ms or 300ms?

4 Likes

Nah, I get it – I think I may have had some bad chicken that day or something, I was a bit cranky and took things a little personally… apologies.

As @EricM_Inovelli stated, you still have scenes when you disable the delay (Button 1 - Pushed & Held, Button 7 - Config Button, and Button 8) – in total, I believe you will have 4 scenes at your disposal. In addition, Red Series provides you with Notifications (ie: Garage door is left open, light blinks Red, etc) as well as Energy Monitoring. So, you do have quite a bit of a difference still between Red & Black Series.

3 Likes

after using the Red series switches for a while now without the latest firmware I find it reasonable for the 700ms delay in place. but I won’t lie and say that it’s not noticeable. Clearly I don’t speak for everyone though.

How about a solution in the middle maybe? i think for the majority of users the delay is only a big issue upon “turning on” a switch and having a delay upon that happening, more so than when we’re turning off a switch. So with that said, would it possible to sacrifice 6 scenes for the sake of the “on” switch with zero delay, and maintain the option of a default 700ms for the “off” while keeping those 6 scenes associated with that part of the paddle, so instead of having essentially 1 scene, you’d at least still have 7 and remove the delay in the process.

1 Like

I will say I’ve come a long way since this thread started. I was in the, “it’s not a huge deal” camp, but now that I have the, “instant on”, I do notice it a bit. Still not a huge deal (to me), but I can see why it would bother some people. I think this solution may be reasonable, I’ll pass it onto the engineer. There’s a lot to talk about with this alternate firmware lol!

The clear answer is a parameter that sets the delay. Some people want 0 (off), some want lightning fast (100ms), fast (250ms), default (700ms), etc.

I find that 90% of my switches I have worked to the no delay option with the config button used as a third switch. I’d set them all to 250 or 500ms (or so) depending on some feedback in my home.