Thread / Matter Fan Canopy Module | Project Cheryl

Pre-Orders Are Open Now: White Series Smart Fan/Light Canopy Module | Inovelli

I want to dedicate this project to my mom (Cheryl), who was an amazing mother to me and my brother and sister, grandmother to my four girls, role model, and someone who always was there to encourage me and brag about Inovelli to my aunts and uncles! Most importantly, she taught me to work hard, never quit if you believe in something, and always keep a positive attitude as it will inevitably rub off on others. I will miss you and hope that your spirit can live on through this product!

Project Team
Feel free to tag any of us with questions. I’ll (Eric H) be the go-to’s for overall project management, timeline and anything other than firmware related questions, whereas Eric M is the go-to for any firmware related questions. Either way, we’re all here to help!

Introduction
As per our tradition of working with you amazing people, here’s what this thread allows us to do as a community.

1. Allows us to keep everyone updated on the project status (either good or bad)
  2. Allows you to participate and help us develop amazing products together
  3. Enjoy each other’s company and have fun talking home automation

How this initial post will be laid out is in five sections:

1. Project Overview
  2. Initial Hardware & Software Requirements (edited to remain up-to-date)
  3. Timeline (edited to remain up-to-date)
  4. Pinned Ideas & Shout-outs (edited to remain up-to-date)
  5. Weekly Recap

Housekeeping

• DATES & FUNCTIONS ARE NOT SET IN STONE: Just a reminder that all dates and functions are sometimes fluid. We have to make choices based on feasibility, opportunity costs, and overall timeline. I will be as transparent as possible on these decisions, but just a heads up, they may not always be exciting.
  • NO IDEA IS A BAD IDEA: Ok, some are, but honestly throw out anything that you can think of. If we use your idea, we’ll credit you and send you a free device, so take that shot!
  • VERSION 1 VS VERSION 2: Some ideas may be fantastic, but may not make the cut for the first version of the product. Once the product is locked in from a function standpoint, we’ll keep a tally of V2 ideas and then once the product is produced, we’ll move the ideas over to a suggestions/wishlist section.

Ok, let’s get this party started!

Project Overview
The purpose of this project is to build upon our Blue Series Fan/Canopy Module which is set for production on January 18th, 2024. In addition, we’ve seen early success on our Thread/Matter 2-1 Switch and want to broaden the Thread/Matter portfolio.

Project Name - Cheryl

I chose the name Cheryl to dedicate this to my mom, who passed away in 2019 of cancer. She was an incredible person who instilled in me a solid work ethic and a stubbornness to never give up (I wish she gave me her grammar skills, but unfortunately she didn’t – I got my dad’s math and science brain).

I wanted to name this project Cheryl because the goal is to have this pair directly to our button controller, which is named project Walt (my dad).

Cheryl - Hardware Requirements
The hardware for the canopy module can be found below.

Hardware

NOTE: Wires not shown

Hardware - Controller (Look / Feel)

• Heat Dissipating Cutouts: There should be multiple cutouts allowing for heat dissipation
  • 4 Wires: In order to control both the fan and light, the module will need five wires that are labeled
  • Hot/Line x1 (Black): Connect to 120V to power the module
  • White x1 (Neutral): Connect to neutral wires
  • Blue x1 (Light): Connect to the Light on the fan
  • Red x 1 (Fan Motor) Connect to the Fan motor
  • Slim Design: Should be smaller than our last version as there were space constraints within some canopies (target = Width = 2.1”, Height = 3.0”, Depth = 1.0”)
  • Thread Antenna: This antenna needs to be strong enough (and long enough) to reach the switch through metal fan canopies

Hardware - Features & Capabilities

The look and feel will be exactly the same as our Blue Series Canopy Module.

These features allow us to be versatile in any installation setting and experience level and should take the intimidation away from installing a canopy module.

• Leading/Trailing Edge Dimming: the controller should be able to switch between leading and trailing edge for better compatibility with bulbs

Cheryl - Software Requirements

• OTA Ready: Ability to update firmware via OTA
  • Smart Bulb & Fan Mode: Ability to control smart bulbs and fans by locking power to the bulb/fan(s)

Timeline
Ah, everyone’s favorite part. When is this flippin thing going to be released? Great question – here’s the high-level of what happens leading up to the first release of the timeline:

1. We present a PRD (Project Request Document) that has all of the above info in it (see above section for the pdf)
  2. R&D (manufacturer) analyzes the PRD and we go back and forth until we can align on 90% of the product
  3. Initial Timeline is released and remaining 10% of product features are added/cut along the way

Again, just want to throw this out there – I don’t have a crystal ball so I can’t predict things that come up along the way. Trust me when I say we’re trying our best to get things launched on time.

Pre-Initial Timeline Milestones:

• Present PRD: Completed
  • R&D Analyzation: Completed
  • Initial Timeline Released: In Progress

Timeline (Estimated)

1. Structure & Hardware Design
    Details: ID/Structure Design, PCB Layout & PCBA Making, Hardware Sample, Structure Tooling
    Est Completion Date: N/A (Shares same design as Blue Series Fan/Light Canopy Module)

2. Software Development
    Est Completion Date: May 12, 2024

3. Beta Testing
    Est Completion Date: June 30, 2024

4. Marketing Material
    Details: Manual Creation, Box Design, Insert
    Est Completion Date: June 5, 2024

5. Certifications
    Details: Thread, Matter, FCC/IC, ETL
    Est Completion Date: July 23, 2024

6. Mass Production
    Details: Materials Purchasing & Trial Run on Production Line
    Est Completion Date: August 3, 2024

Pinned Ideas & Shout-Outs
Here are the ideas from the community. We sincerely appreciate them, we love them, and we couldn’t create the products we do without them. So, thank you for your input and let’s continue to innovate together and change the home automation category for the better (NOTE: if an idea is crossed out, it’s not because it wasn’t valid, nor was it something we didn’t consider – we’ve discussed it internally or with the manufacturer and unfortunately it was not feasible).

Hardware

Software

Monthly Recap
Every month I’ll provide a recap as well as edit the sections above so we can all keep track. If you have any specific questions you’d like me to ask, feel free to tag me and let me know so I can ask the manufacturer as well.

Feb 2, 2024: Not much of an update here as the team is working on Project Jonagold (Thread/Matter 2-1) and Project Zephyr (Thread/Matter Fan Switch) before tackling this project. However, all the code from those two switches will be applied to this module, so it should be fairly simple to complete once they start. Especially since all the hardware is completed.

April 18, 2024: The manufacturer is set to start firmware development on this next week with a completion date of May 12.

5 Likes

Do you have any timeline for when additional pre-ordering will be available? I just became aware of these and looks like the orders sold out in days (maybe less). Looking forward to more from the white series availability :slight_smile:

The white fan module is available for pre-order now:

1 Like

Project Update:

Not much of an update here as the team is working on Project Jonagold (Thread/Matter 2-1) and Project Zephyr (Thread/Matter Fan Switch) before tackling this project. However, all the code from those two switches will be applied to this module, so it should be fairly simple to complete once they start. Especially since all the hardware is completed.

1 Like

This might be a dumb question, but I am assuming that you can use a White Series Canopy Module with a Blue Series 2-in-1, correct?

Not directly. Since one speaks zigbee and the other speaks thread. You’ll need a hub to route commands through.

Project Update: No real update here as the team just got back from Chinese New Year and is wrapping up the firmware for the Thread/Matter 2-1.

3 Likes