Zigbee Button Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Walt

I’d love these in a satin or matte finish but that would probably be the lowest priorty for now I’d guess.

Watch the following video and keep in mind that a smart switch has many more parts. Some electronics components are simply not made here, and would need 10’s of millions of investment and years to build out the production of them.

There are a lot of things we should make but don’t and it is more difficult than you may know. People say we should mine more Aluminum, and we should, but to do so would be $1billion easy just for the land and factory. Then you need the permits and investment for the mine. Need transportation so probably a new rail line. On top of that you need power plants built since Aluminum smelting takes mind boggling amounts of electricity. That is 5 years min construction plus however long it takes to get approval and funding. All in it could easily be $5billion total needed with no ingots for 10 years. No one is going to invest that kind of money unless they know they can make a profit for 30 years after.

What I’m getting at is that Inovelli is too small to do anything other than maybe have the parts shipped here and assembled so they can say assembled in USA for a markup. Only well thought out Govt policies that we can trust to be around in 40 years have a chance of on-shoring production.

6 Likes

From my own light bar playing around I discovered using a plastic with just a little fog to it helps disperse the light a lot, when using a pure translucent plastic the light shines straight through more and shows hot spots.

Pardon me if this sounds dumb, but to diffuse could you place a diffuser directly (slight gap) at the LED as well as closer to the switches? I’m not sure how much room you have to play with but in my experiences that the diffusers work better the further away from the source… obviously we don’t have that much room inside the switch housing so possibly double diffusing with a gap between to allow the light to scatter?

How long until I can send you my wallet and everything in it in exchange plz? :sweat_smile:

In all seriousness, this is effectively the last component I need in my home in order to enable me to develop full spousal approval. At current, I’m utilizing a whack-ton of buttons all over the house, some of them with wall cradles that are removable, others permanently affixed, and ALL of them battery powered; the maintenance of battery replacement is getting under my skin, and the risk of things not working even once due to a dead battery I missed makes this product a life-saver for me.

I understand it’s likely too early to provide anything firm, but is there a price range you’re targeting for this?

1 Like

Here is the product listing.

Depending on your preferred networking protocol it’ll be between 75 and 90 each.

2 Likes

Was the two-part manufacturing able to be resolved? Was there an alternative solution found?

2 Likes

Is there an update on testing the product?

5 Likes

It has now been 5 months since the last update. Can any additional information be provided?

I have a particular location under construction that I was hoping to install a dozen of these in. Is there any chance these will be ready by December?

The latest update was provided in May here: Z-Wave 800 Series Button Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Walt - #120 by Courtney_Inovelli

I would say it’s pretty unlikely that these will arrive in 2026, but I don’t work for Inovelli.

1 Like

In fairness, a comment that starts with “no update at this time” isn’t really an update.

Update provided 13 days ago in our Q2 wrap-up post

Button Controller (Blue Series / Red Series)

The Button Controller remains one of the products we know many of you are waiting for, and we want to be transparent about where things stand.

The engineer assigned to the Button Controller has been focused on our B2B project as the current priority. That project is expected to wrap up soon, and once it does, he will be freed up to resume and complete the Button Controller work.

We understand that some users are frustrated by the delay, and we completely understand. This product has taken longer than expected, but we are taking our time because we want to deliver a near-perfect product and experience.

As always, if you no longer want to wait, we are still offering refunds and order cancellations for anyone who has a pending Button Controller order.

We will share more specific updates once active development resumes.

4 Likes

Thank you for posting that here! I hadn’t seen it yet. I appreciate the update.

Will the button controller support auxiliary switch configuration for multi-location dimming?

I’m totally behind this project and can’t wait for it to come to fruition. I keep holding off on buying because I’m hoping this will also work as a fan switch to make my partner feel more comfortable with going more smart home. Thinking of a button orientation of:
1(1) - Fan Speed Reduced or Stopped
1(2) - Fan Speed On or Increased
2 - Fan Light Toggle
3(1) - Fan Light Dimmer Down
3(2) - Fan Light Dimmer Up
4 - Fan Light Scene Set

I realize this could all be handled through some of the other switches via multi-tap and long tap but trying to teach that to him is going to just add frustration to him so I’m looking at the most basic controls and we have 4 fans that I’m looking to do this with (maybe 6 if I put the two bathrooms exhausts in the fold as well). This project is holding me off on getting 10 dimmer switches and 2 aux switches as well (Maybe 5 standard on/off switches as well if I do the closets).

Wishing you the best of with the completion of this project!

1 Like

Any updates on when this might be released? I too am hoping to use this in a new build I am hoping to break ground on in spring 2027.

I wouldn’t make any decisions based on projections. The project is three years old and we’re now two years past when beta testing was originally projected to happen.

The timelines slipped multiple times, they lost the B2B partner, and updates are now infrequent. Despite reassurances, I would not be at all surprised if the plugged got pulled on this.

(I’m not annoyed that there’s been delays but I am annoyed at the lack of regular updates.)

I too am waiting. More updates would be nice, but I know they could be too busy with everything. I am just waiting like everyone else. Do I need them? No. Do I want them? Yes. Will I buy them once I Can? Yes.

I’m not necessarily making the decisions based on projections, but rather hoping for an update. If the devs come back with “It’s not going to happen any time soon”, then I know I need to look for something already on the market. If they come back with “We are refocusing and hope to have something by 2nd quarter 2027”, then I can wait on any selections for now.

I like the idea of the Inovelli products, but I am not married to them yet…

Thank you everyone for your patience on the Button Controller. We know this project has had a long history, with several different directions and updates over the years, so we understand that another update about a design change may be met with some skepticism.

That said, we wanted to share where things currently stand and, more importantly, what has actually changed:

Our original plan was to have a fully customizable button layout, where the individual buttons could be configured in a variety of different ways. After continuing to work through the mechanical design, the biggest issue we have still not been able to solve to our satisfaction is light leakage between the individual button sections.

Rather than continuing to hold up the project trying to make that concept work, we have decided to simplify the approach.

We are now designing five different full paddle configurations that customers will be able to choose from. This removes a lot of the complexity that was causing issues with the previous design while still giving customers several different layouts depending on how they want to use the controller. It also leaves the door open for us to develop additional paddle configurations in the future if there is enough demand for them.


(There are only 4 paddle designs shown here as we are still debating internally and reviewing manufacturing feasibility.)

We expect to receive samples of these new paddle designs in the next few weeks. Once we have them in hand and have had a chance to evaluate them, we will share them here so everyone can see exactly what we are working with.

Based on the current direction and timeline, we are targeting Q2 2027 for the Button Controller. As always with a project still in development, that timing may shift as we work through sampling, testing, certification, and production, but that is the target we are currently working toward.

We know this project has taken much longer than anyone expected, and we appreciate everyone who has continued following along and giving us feedback. Hopefully this new direction gives us a much more practical path forward.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

8 Likes