Zigbee Fan Canopy Module | Project Cheryl

I presume this only works in Neutral setups? Those with Non-Neutral wiring will have to figure out some other workaround?

1 Like

What Eric is suggesting is that by tying the line and load together, you are making the switch a scene controller with no load. If you non-neutral, then you have power originating at the fan box with 2 conductors (ignoring the ground) running to the switch box. So in this case, at the fan box, re-wire to send the hot over the black and the neutral over the white. Connect those to the line and neutral terminals on the switch and you have the same thing.

I should have been clearer: I’m talking about not having a neutral at the switch (2 wires, line and load). The main floor of my house was built in the 50s. Haven’t checked yet to see if there’s a hot within the fan boxes.

No, I understood exactly what you were saying. I understand that you have a switch loop. Re-read my post and if it’s not clear I can draw it out for you.

If you’re non-neutral at the light switch then there has to be a hot at the fan, or it wouldn’t work. :slightly_smiling_face:

AFAIK, in the US for lighting and receptacles, there is no switch requirement for EVERY device in the NEC. You are required to have one switched device (light or receptacle) for each habitable room, kitchen, bathroom, etc. The exception for lighting devices is fixtures that have a ballast, and require a switch or other disconnect device for service. (NEC 210.70 and 404).

Of course, your local AHJ may dictate otherwise.

1 Like

There are two modes. The first is multi-tap and the second is cycle. You can find more in the description for firmware 1.05: Blue Series Fan Switch Firmware Changelog | VZM35-SN - Switches / Firmware Discussion - Inovelli Community. The cycle mode off>low>medium>high>off. Kind of like if you were pulling the chain on the fan. I actually use the feature to control some Zigbee bulbs in the room and it works great there too. @bobzer the LED bar will temporarily show the level of the fan when using this feature.

2 Likes

Except - at least in my experience - backwards, as all my fans go to High on the first pull, not low. Minor issue, but it makes my OCD tendencies twitch :crazy_face:

1 Like

LOL, I think mine go from low to high, but maybe not. Theoretically you can change P131, 132, and 133 to reverse the order. I haven’t tried it though.

1 Like

And for good reason! Technology Connections did a great video about this: https://youtu.be/hQ3GW7lVBWY

3 Likes

And he actually shows Inovelli switches in the video.

1 Like

Seems today is a special day for multiple reasons!
:bulb::partying_face::tada::bulb:

5 Likes

Looks like it got pushed to Friday 3/8! But we can still celebrate Eric today regardless! :tada: :partying_face:

5 Likes

Look what arrived!

17 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked. If a fan/light fan module died, could you put on of these in the fan, then run automations on your hub to use both buttons from the fan/light switch?

That ought to work just fine using multi-tap (scene) automations.

Will the mmWave presence switches also support cycling fan speeds the same way as the 2-in-1 switches?

The mmWave switches do not support fan loads, if you’re referring to using a fan of the load and cycling the wired load.

Sorry, I quoted one which was confusing, but I meant when using 2-1 switch with the Canopy module like here:

I wanted to know if it would work the same with the forthcoming mmWave switches. TY!

2 Likes

Is there another thread about a Z-Wave version of this?

Not currently. So far, there is only a Zigbee version and a thread version in development (thread and zigbee share the same hardware).