Zigbee Fan Canopy Module | Project Cheryl

Would this canopy module have support for dual lights? or just one?

just one

Wait - we would have this for fan speed also? I thought that was for the (light) dimmer.

AFIK, it will match parameters very closely with the VZM35 Fan Switch which has those parameters.

@Eric_Inovelli is there any plan for fans that have 2 light channels? I have a fairly expensive ceiling fan that has an up light, a dome light, and then a fan circuit. (orange, blue, black respectively) the factory module has a remote to control all 3 with dimming but itā€™s dumb unless you order a ā€œbond moduleā€ to connect it to the smart home controller (Google home, etc)

Do either or both of the light channels use a standard bulb? If so put smart bulbs in one of them and bypass the canopy module for that one. One channel gets controlled directly through the canopy module, the other via separate smart bulbs. This would be a practical solution.

1 Like

Also, you could potentially install two modules (depending how large your canopy is). One would control a fan and light. The other would control the other light only. Youā€™d cap off the fan on the second module. Not ideal, but not sure the design will be changed.

Or just tie the upper and lower lights together.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a very niche use case and I wouldnā€™t suspect it would be worthwhile for Inovelli to do so. However, you could potentially use the canopy module to control the fan and one light and then add a mini dimmer module in the canopy to control the other two light circuits.

I have 3 of the Leviton ZW4SF 4 speed fan controllers and they work great EXCEPT they randomly lock up and are no longer controllable with my hub.

A few times I couldnā€™t even turn them on without power cycling, then they would work fineā€¦ for a while.
I just unpaired them and use them locally only, and they seem to be fine without remote controlā€¦
Strange! Unless a power spike locks up the z-wave radio in themā€¦ donā€™t know!

They use capacitors switched in series with the motor for the lower 3 speeds then direct connection for hi.
They use triacs to switch the caps in circuit, so no relay noise.

1 Like

So these modules are not continuously variable speed?
Only 3 speed?
RATS!
I just preordered 4 of them.

Correct on 3 speeds. Thereā€™s some inputs about setting up some ā€œscenesā€ like breeze mode so it will randomly shift between low, med, high, med, low for period of times.

You will not have fan speed option of 1-100; not like a dimmer for fan speed.

The dimmer portion will act like a dimmer though.

I mean you certainly could make a 0-100 AC fan speed controller given unlimited space for line capacitors and a switching section, but not worth it as far as a consumer product like this goes.

1 Like

Neither, one is a trio of candelabra bulbs and the other is like 6 night light bulbs, havenā€™t found many smart bulbs with small base in round or candelabra.

Not really a niche, most newer fans are coming with up lights, and then the normal dome or other down light. Itā€™s 2 light circuits and 1 fan, 3 total circuits.

I thought of these, I really just want something clean. I can buy the remote module for it that has all of the proper controls, I was thinking of reversing the remote for it and building a board with a zigbee module to convert the zigbee commands to rf signals but Iā€™m not sure I REALLY card this much yet :joy::man_shrugging:t2:

I wouldnā€™t say ā€œmostā€ fans have multiple lights. Iā€™ve bought several ceiling fans for 2 homes in the last 5 years. Iā€™ve looked at hundreds of fan models and Iā€™ve seen maybe two that have more than one light circuit and in those cases they did not have a removeable fan module. I canā€™t find one on the first couple of pages of results from Home Depot or Amazon.

Iā€™ve NEVER seen a home with more than 2 wiring circuits to an overhead fan receptacle. It used to be common to have 2 circuits, but more and more homes have been moving towards one wiring circuit because fans typically have integrated controllers/remotes.

I know you really want something for your use-case, but it really is a niche product you are looking for.

5 Likes

I preordered some canopy modules but Iā€™m not clear on which blue switches Iā€™m supposed to get to use with the canopy modules? I want a single blue switch to control both the fan motor and the fan light. Do I get the blue fan switch or just the blue 2-1? The blue fan switch page says it canā€™t be used for bulbs and the blue 2-1 switch page says it canā€™t be used for fans. But the canopy module page clearly shows a single switch being using for both the fan motor and the fan light. Help?

Btw: I like the discontinued fan switch that had two large buttons, one for the fan motor and one for the fan lightā€¦.guess they did away with that :frowning:

Get the Blue 2-1. The switch isnā€™t going to have a load on it. Youā€™ll just be using it to bind to the canopy module or as a scene controller to send automations to the canopy module. So it doesnā€™t matter that the swtich doesnā€™t support fans because it wonā€™t be controlling one via a wired load.

1 Like

SCRs or triacs can easily do full variable speed fan control without any capacitors. But, it probably would need a bit more heatsink than the MOSFETs used for switching the capacitors.

Is there still any room to test? Iā€™ve already preordered the product, and am trying to test out a bunch of Zigbee devices for a cabin up in Maine that my parents want me to make smart + offline first to manage remotely! Iā€™m using my place down here in FL as a ā€˜sandboxā€™ of sorts, and itā€™d be awesome to try this one out! (The current fan controller I have is a shitty Tuya one Iā€™ve converted with ESPHome, and it would be wonderful to try this out with some of the Inovelli switches coming on the 16th)