Blue 2-1 - Z2M, Groups, Binding, and Multi-Press Actions Troubleshooting

I tested out a setup similar to yours here with a blue switch bound to another blue switch in a three way setup and noticed a similar result.

The double tap up event does register but maybe only one out of every 10 or 20 attempts. As well, turning the switch on with a single tap doesn’t do anything to improve the situation which is contrary to the behavior I see on another switch I have with a similar setup but which is not part of a binding.

My switches are all part of the batch that have known signal issues so maybe that’s part of the issue. The odd thing is that commands sent from HA or an MQTT client work pretty flawlessly.

I have one grouped with 10 smart bulbs so will be following this thread. It’s IEE 0x943469 and the LQI in z2m will go from like 40 to 0. It still interacts with the smart bulbs. Interestingly I can dim it while it says LQI 0 and I see the LQI go from 40ish back to 0 in the z2m devices list. Almost right after I let go it says 0 again.

I cant imagine this is good for my mesh network because it still acts like a router.

Hey there. quick follow up…switched over zigbee2mqtt. a remote (different circuit) smart bulb can bind successfully to the switch but turning this switch state on/off does nothing to that smart bulb. The switch is in smart bulb mode.

any thoughts on debugging this? thank you!

edit: same result with bulbs on the same circuit as the switch. obviously works fine in this scenario if the switch is not in smart bulb mode.

I’m not personally familiar with Z2M, but if you’re doing multiple bulbs on the same and separate circuit, I’d recommend this video for instructions to set up a group and the bindings for it.

Got it. Should I make a new thread in that case? the zigbee group works just fine and the binding says it was successful. So according that video, it should all just work (minus the video leaving out activating smart bulb mode).

thanks for your time so far

At risk of repeating something you already know, for clarity re smart bulb mode, that’s not going to be required for binding or using smart bulbs (though I’d recommend it). It just keeps the load powered at 100% so that you’re not cutting power to your smart bulbs on the same circuit and you’re controlling them via the smarts in the bulb instead.

If you followed the video instructions then yeah you may want to open a new thread just to help keep it tracked accurately, etc. Definitely should be one of those things where once the binding is set up the bulb(s) will work in sync with the switch without additional config needed.

totally understood! sorry bad wording on my part.

got it. thank you!

2 Likes

Ok cool, just wanted to make sure cause I know there are a ton of parameters and sometimes the names can end up confusing too :slight_smile: GL!

is it possible this issue is related to this thread? I’m having a similar issue, I think, and was referred there.

Possibly, but at least in my case it doesn’t seem to be an issue of needing to interact with it first to “wake” the switch.

The common factor I’ve isolated in my case is grouping/binding with a light group. If it’s not bound to a light group, actions come through reliably even if I haven’t touched the switch in a while. But if it’s in a group/binding, no actions seem to come through Z2M under any circumstances (except, strangely, sometimes for a very brief 1-2 minute period after initially binding the switch). The switch still reliably controls the light in this case and the state change messages seem to come through, just not the separate message for the /action subtopic message.

Interesting…I’m going to try unbinding my switch to my light bulbs and see if I have the same experience as you.

@jcharles42 - when you unbind the switch from the light group, I assume that means you also turn off the “smart bulb” mode, right?

No, I’ve kept it in Smart Mode during these tests. All I change is remove the binding from the switch and remove the switch from the group in Z2M.

This does mean the switch no longer controls the lights directly, but if I went with this solution long-term, I’d set up automations in HA to control the lights indirectly via action triggers. This is definitely more work, would likely not be quite as snappy, and would cease working if HA or Z2M is down, so it’s not my preference compared to controlling the core light functions directly with a bound switch and having advanced scene control and scripts triggered by multi-press actions through HA.

Edit: Based on what I’ve seen, I don’t think in my case it’s a signal quality issue. Every other aspect of the switch has been very responsive. I suspect it’s either a firmware issue, a Z2M issue/limitation, or an issue with the bulbs I’ve tested in the group/binding.

An update on this issue: it seems the most recent firmware has fixed this problem. The action commands were being sent to the group rather than the controller.

Firmware 2.07 did introduce a new bug where you can only bind things individually rather than bind a group, but sounds like that should be fixed in 2.08. I’ll test it out when that’s released and report back.

Firmware 2.07 did introduce a new bug where you can only bind things individually rather than bind a group, but sounds like that should be fixed in 2.08. I’ll test it out when that’s released and report back.

Glad to hear this is a known bug, hopefully they can fix it soon, it broke several new automations I set up. Since the automations are new (and zigbee binding is new to me, too), I thought I screwed something up and I thought I was going crazy.