Blue Series 2-1 Firmware Changelog | VZM31-SN

For those in the U.S., keep in mind that channel 25 operates at a lower Tx power level than channels 11-24. Ch 25 may work well in congested environments, but if you have a lot of thick walls or other RF-opaque obstacles, ch 25 may be a poor choice.

1 Like

The first thing I would recommend is installing the zha-network-card and look to see if you have a problematic switch. In my case, I think I had a switch that bridged my upstairs and downstairs, with most of the traffic routed through this switch, and it had a very low LQI. I disabled OTA updates and installed my last new switch, which I assume was loaded with the 2.13 version. About 90% of my problems went away after that.

I would be cautious of running beta firmware. I am running it because I have been working with Inovelli on the 2.14 mesh issues, and was asked to test it to see if it resolved my issues. Fortunately, I think it has, and that might mean we are getting closer to a 2.15 or 2.16 release.

I can understand their caution. I work developing chips for enterprise class storage systems and releasing updates that are not adequately tested to a large user base is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks, but isn’t channel 26 also lower power? I thought only channel 26 was lower power, but it appears Channel 25 is also lower power. Lastly not all devices will work on all channels. Some devices can be targeted to only 15, 20, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, for backwards compatibility, avoid ch 26. It’s not supported well by older devices, and sometimes the only device you can get that does what you need was designed before channel 26 was in the spec. Channel #s that are even multiples of 5 have the broadest compatibility, so 15 and 20 are the best when there’s space in the spectrum, and 25 is a good option if the local wifi environment is crowded AND you can tolerate the lower power.

Actually, what I realized is that my zigbee network seems fine, all buttons and sensors seems to report status/actions right away,
The problem is only the innovelli switches (kinda the most important part of the automation u.u) I took a timer, it took 56 seconds to turn on and 62 to turn off :frowning:

1 Like

Do button press events from the Inovelli switch report right away? like 2x/etc?

Yes

1 Like

The silence on this is a bit concerning.

2.14 was pulled on May 3. 2 months later it’s still pulled without a new update.

2.15 was announced to be coming at some point on May 24.

Since then radio silence.

1 Like

I’ve also been wondering about that. Eric normally has been keeping people informed as to what is going on. I asked a few weeks back about it and never saw a reply.

2 Likes

@EricM_Inovelli @Eric_Inovelli any idea when 2.15 is going to be available?

3 Likes

I’ll pop in, sorry, I thought the other Eric was handling this. Long story short, we’ve been testing 2.15 and there are some issues with flickering bulbs that we’re trying to chase down. It was fixed on the Red Series firmware, but for some reason it is not working on the Blue Series for some people. The firmware engineer has been unresponsive up until recently. Apparently he got pulled into an “urgent” project, but we’ve been told that they’re looking into it and trying to replicate the issue.

From what I’ve seen on my end, 2.15 seems great and has solved some networking issues for a couple of the people that were having them (@dallingham being one of them that has seen improvement).

As for a release, I’ll defer to @EricM_Inovelli. I think he really wants to get the flickering issue fixed before deploying it as we want to make this one the last one.

If there is an urgent need for 2.15, please shoot us a PM. We’re happy to work with you. But if this is just a want, then I think it’s best to continue to wait until things are stable.

10 Likes

It’s been quite some time since 2.14 was pulled. Many of us are waiting to install more switches until the new firmware is released because we are stuck on 2.08. I get that it would be nice to have a “final” firmware, but locking users into the original release is worse IMO.

Agreed. I have a ton of switches that are waiting to be installed. If 2.15 isn’t coming anytime soon, can you please re-release 2.14?

cc @EricM_Inovelli @Eric_Inovelli

1 Like

2.14 was pulled because of a safety issue, unfortunately caused by some trying to use the switch for devices that it was not intended to be used for. There will be new settings and protections in the new firmware to protect against that.

So as they say in New York, fuhgeddaboudit. I’m pretty sure that you are not going to see 2.14.

:grinning:

But on what timeline? I just want a device to control my Hue bulbs, with reliable zigbee networking. 2.14 fits the bill.

1 Like

If I read all this right, this should solve the flickering and power fluctuations, right? I’ve got many a switch that suffers this; hopefully >2.14 solves for this safely. I’d rather it be safely done than rushed. Unless there are waivers to sign, I am for quality vs quantity when it comes to the safety factors.

Last thing inovelli wants I think is people’s houses going up in flames and them making the negative presses. :smile:

It would be nice to eventually not be in Disney’s haunted mansion all the time, but I can wait a little longer :smile:

3 Likes

If you have Home Assistant then just download 2.15 and flash it yourself.

v2.15 firmware: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/Firmware/main/Blue-Series/Zigbee/VZM31-SN-2-1-Switch/Beta/2.15/VZM31-SN_2.15.ota

How to (Z2M + HA): OTA updates | Zigbee2MQTT

2 Likes

My switches are mixture of 2.08, 2.11 and 2.14, and all of them say “no update available” when I check for updates in Zigbee2MQTT :confused: Any ideas why I’m not seeing the newer versions?

Zigbee2MQTT version 1.32.1 commit: 4ccfdfc

I believe it is because the one linked above is still considered beta firmware so I am guessing it has not been released on the normal OTA channels available to Z2M. But manual install is still an option.

Use this as your guide to create your own OTA path:

Direct path to 2.15 OTA: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/Firmware/main/Blue-Series/Zigbee/VZM31-SN-2-1-Switch/Beta/2.15/VZM31-SN_2.15.ota

The Github: https://github.com/InovelliUSA/Firmware/tree/main/Blue-Series/Zigbee/VZM31-SN-2-1-Switch/Beta/2.15