Blue Series 2-1 Switch - Enhancements/Bugs Thread

I tried searching this thread, is there any request in place or progress made toward enabling scene control from aux switches?

i.e. triggering scene via double tap on an aux switch connected to a blue series 2-1?

Thanks

This has worked since delivery of the switches. Been using double taps from an aux switches for over a year.

4 Likes

I would love to know if this was ever considered.
I went to https://github.com/InovelliUSA/Firmware but I couldn’t find issue #134.

Yep it was added; not sure which firmware but its there.

1 Like

This is awesome !!! My family will love it.
I’m using Home Assistant ZHA so I will look for it in there. Thanks a bunch.

It looks like 2x Tap Down to Level was added on 2.12.

Based on this post and the information displayed in HA (ZHA), I believe I have 2.14:

Blue Series 2-1 Firmware Changelog | VZM31-SN
April 11, 2023 / v2.14 / 0x0102020E

However, I don’t see that option.
I do see the a “Double tap full brightness” option, which appears twice and is disabled:

This is from one on 2.15, but you may just need to remove/readd the switch to clean up and refresh those options?

1 Like

Thanks, I’m hopping there is a better way. Removing and adding back over 30 switches is a lot of work, not to mention I can only imagine I will have to re-do automations as well. There is gotta be another way :frowning_face:

If you want to be extra safe, you can copy the entity names, but Zigbee should remember the device when it comes back in so your automations should be untouched. Also when you hit remove from the UI the switch goes back into pairing mode so you can just remove/readd pretty quickly. Definitely can appreciate that adds up across over 30 switches though.

2 Likes

I think the way zha works that it has to be re-added. During the interview it goes through the available options and adds the entity for it. I’m not aware of a way to do it other than this.

Like @chack mentioned though if you add it back with the same name it should be in all your automations. Maybe try it one one device and see how it goes. Let us know if it works the way we are thinking. Also, if you remove and readd (without factory reset) it should keep all its configuration settings (except for maybe bindings which may need to be redone).

1 Like

I can confirm it works as described.
I removed one swtich, added it back with the same name, the automation and device settings were all kept.

To make sure I understood it:
Every time you add or remove a parameter or make a change that impacts the user interface I will have to do this for all switches again? That kinda sucks :frowning_with_open_mouth:

These were my exact steps by the way:

• Copy device name (ctrl+c - just to be safe)
  • Remove in the Remove button (HA user interface)
  • Device went into pairing mode (flashing LED bar)
  • In HA, click Add Device
  • Device was found with a default name
  • Paste name (ctrl+v)
  • Select same area as before and leave the add device screen
    I
1 Like

I think this seems to be the case. On the flipside, if you don’t need it through the UI on the device page, you’ll still have access to the parameters through automations or managing them directly, it just takes a couple steps. If a parameter is removed you can disable/hide it on the device page, but that’s still a manual step.

1 Like

This may or may not have already been requested but my eyes where going cross eyed searching for this particular feature request. Or maybe it’s possible and I just haven’t discovered the setting yet.

I would like to completely separate the switch (button presses) from the load control. I understand that you can put the switch into “smart bulb” mode which “sort of” accomplishes this. That said I would like to be able to press buttons on the switch without it effecting the load attached to the switch.

I am coming over from a 20+ year old Vantage lighting system and this is how every one of their dimmers worked. It is incredibly useful allowing independent control of the load from local button presses. I understand that this would create a situation where if communication with the hub failed then you would lose the ability to control the local load directly from the switch. This situation was avoided in the Vantage system dimmers by a fallback local control mode when it lost communication with the system controller (hub).

Is this something that can be accomplished in a future firmware update or at all?

Thanks!

Big Pete…

Would using the “reconfigure” button work instead of manually removing and adding back?›

That is exactly what the Smart Bulb Mode (if you want to switch to always put out 100%) or Disable Local Control will do. Why do you say “sort of”? What isn’t working as you would expect using one of those two modes?

Well, by “sort of” I mean that in the smart bulb mode the load defaults to on all the time. In this mode I gain the ability to use the single up and single down presses independent of the light output but the light output is always on. What I would prefer is to still have control of the light output I just don’t want it to always be associated with a local button press.

To say it another more home assistant way, I would like the load output of the switch to be an entity and the button presses to be an entity. Both independently accessible within home assistant (or your chosen hub).

It’s surprising hard to describe clearly unfortunately.

Thanks!

Pete…

Regarding the Reconfigure button - Not in my experience, but it certainly doesn’t hurt if you want to try it?

For the button presses, like Bry mentioned, you could also use Local Protection which will disable direct control of the load but still sends button press events when you press/hold the paddle or config buttons. With the hub, it’s just down to the automations you set and what you want them to do. If you lost the hub then by default you wouldn’t have control of the load, however you can disable local control via a button combo on the switch and then you’d have control of the load output again.

Use Disable Local Control. The switch will remain at whatever on/off status and dim level you set via the hub and paddle presses will not affect that. You retain full control via the hub.

1 Like

Thanks Bry. This is exactly what I was looking for. As I suspected, I just wasn’t looking in the right place, y’all already had it covered. The option is called “Local Protection” though. Switching this on accomplishes what I was hoping for, disconnecting local control of the load output from an up/down press of the paddle. Awesomeness…

I am beginning to really really like these switches. They are basically a one to one replacement for my Vantage Controls switches that I have been waiting for ever since I started using Home Assistant. They are allowing me to replace the Vantage system (20 years old) without losing any functionality. Reliability is still an unknown but I have my fingers crossed. If they have half the longevity of my Vantage system components I’ll be super happy.

Again, Thanks so much for such a quick response!

Big Pete…

1 Like

Glad you figured it out. There are so many different configuration combinations that it is hard to know if something is possible or not. Even I have to think hard sometimes to navigate all the different scenarios.