Blue Switch / HA/ ZHA Unable to bind group to switch

I’m having this problem as well. Do I still need to apply the quirk if I’m on a HA version that is showing the correct endpoints? I’ve tried with just the bulbs in the group and with the bulbs + switch in the group. I’m using 3 Philips Hue bulbs, switch is set to Dimmer + Smart Bulb mode.

Edit: Nevermind for now I guess, it’s a known issue on the 2.07 firmware.

It’s strange but I’m having a similar issue on ZHA and the latest updates in HAOS. I just added four hue lights to my living room and I can bind them each individually to the switch and everything works fine. But if I remove them and then try to bind the light group I don’t get any control. I noticed that if the switch is in smart bulb mode it does not control the lighting group however if I disable smart bulb mode it turns them on and off. Not sure if it makes a difference but the switch is set up as a dimmer in a three-way with an auxiliary switch.

edit: I just tried removing and re-pairing the switch and I no longer have LevelControl 1 any more. I just tried adding the custom quirks and still only have the LevelControl1

Are you on 2.08? That’s expected, binding should be from the endpoint 2 on the switch to endpoint 1 of the group, got updated along the way from release. Try binding the levelcontrol and onoff 2 clusters to the group and it should work.

Awesome, this seems to have done the trick. I did bind to levelcontrol 2 the other day, just to try it and it did work but I hadn’t yet done onoff 2. They seemed to be working fine, but when I woke up early this morning I had noticed that the four Hue lights were illuminated just a little bit (less than when the dimmer is set to 1). It’s not noticeable unless it’s completely dark in the room so I can’t really check it until tomorrow morning, but after binding to onoff 2 should that take care of this?

Check the forum as there was another user that had illuminated Hue lights when configured for off. There was a Hue update that fixed the illumination problem.

1 Like

@travis.mara

3 Likes

This is great, thanks. Looks like the firmware update came out about a month ago. Strangely enough, I’ve been sitting on these lights for a few months now and just haven’t gotten around to setting them up. Had I done this months ago with no known fix, I would have just returned them and searched for something else.

It looks like I’m a few versions behind with these, so I may leave them connected to the hub for a while to see how they work on there. If I do, whats the best way to control them from the Blue switch in SBM? Would I just set up the scene control to control them?

Yep. SBM with scenes is your only option until you bind them to the blues.

So, I decided to switch back to having my Blue switches bound to my Hue bulbs. Everything seems to be working well, but I’ve noticed that if I turn off the Zigbee group of lights thats bound to the Blue switch, the switch stays turned on although the lights went out. Is there a way to have them sync bi-directionally?

I’m wondering this as well. I saw the mention of zhacustomquirks to get endpoint 1 to show up, and I tried that out, but still not seeing Endpoint 1 for LevelControl at all in the group.

I’ve gotten things working-ish by choosing Endpoint 2 on the group, but I’m not seeing matching levels on the switch itself, unless the dimming is done at the switch.

Am I missing something? or is there a bug? Or does it just not work this way?

I’m on the latest HomeAssistant and latest firmware for the switches (as far as what’s been presented as available, at least).

That looks right to me, you’ll want to bind both LevelControl and OnOff Endpoint 2 to the group.

Add the switch to the group as well. Once I added that in, it all worked as expected.

1 Like

I’ll give that a try! Thanks!

I think I may be facing a similar issue. I recently installed my Inovelli Blue switch and moved all of my Hue bulbs over to ZHA with the SkyConnect Zigbee radio. The Blue switch is set to Smart Bulb mode and bound to a group containing seven BR-30 Hue bulbs (LTB002). While it’s mostly working well, I’ve noticed two weird issues:

1. The Blue switch doesn’t reflect the state of the light group. I can successfully turn on/off the group with the switch, but if I turn on/off the light group via other means the switch still shows the old state.
  2. Two of the lights often have the wrong brightness. They’ll often be set to 60% brightness when the light group turns on (even thorugh the rest are at 100%). Other times they’ll remain on at a low brightness level when the light group turns off. This seems to happen randomly… maybe 30%-50% of the time. Strangely it’s always the same two lights, and the incorrect brightness is the exact same level.

#1 sounds like it could be due to the Endpoint 1 issue above that @travis.mara was experiencing? Both LevelControl and OnOff are set to endpoint 2 on my Blue switch, not Endpoint 1. Presumably the fix was released last fall though, wasn’t it? Or do I need to try @chack’s custom quirk solution above? (edit: I tried adding the custom quirk, but LevelControl and OnOff still aren’t showing endpoint 1.

I tried adding the switch to the ZHA light group which fixed the on/off state, but I’ve still found instances where the brightness level isn’t aligned between the light group and switch.

As for #2, it sounds a lot like the Hue firmware issue from earlier this year. I have a different bulb model though, and the bulbs should be up-to-date since I only disconnected them from my Hue hub on Saturday. I’ve also confirmed that I don’t have anything else in Home Assistant setting the brightness on these bulbs, and the default on brightness is at 100%.

Does anyone have any advice to resolve these two issues?

You won’t want the custom quirk, as long as your HA version is even semi recent, you’ll have a much more current version of the quirk built into it. The EP2/EP1 thing had to do with the initial behavior of binding vs how it was adjusted to make it function as expected and shouldn’t be an issue with any updated switches today.

It looks like you did what I would’ve recommended (adding the switch to the group), and that does fix the on/off state which is also good. When the brightness level isn’t aligned, is that also when you’re seeing some of the bulbs with mixed level?

I haven’t been able to talk myself into the Hue bulbs yet so that’s about as far as I can go offhand.

Thanks @chack. That’s good to know. After trying everything I could think of, I was able to solve the second issue by resetting the Hue blubs and re-adding them. In the last 36 hours they seem to finally be working.

Strangely the Blue switch still isn’t reflecting the state of the group. Adding the switch to the ZHA light group seems to have resolved most of the issues, but as I noted previously there’s still instances where the brightness setting isn’t identical between the group and the switch. The bulbs all have the same brightness level… it’s just the switch that isn’t updated properly.

1 Like

What’s the firmware version on the switch? And when you end up in those scenarios, how are you controlling brightness of the rest of the group (and is it close)?

The firmware on the switch is 0x0102020b. If I use the switch to adjust the brightness, it works perfectly. But if I use Home Assistant to adjust the brightness of the ZHA light group, that’s when the brightness level of the switch doesn’t seem to update properly.

I’m having this issue too. Specifically, I bound my blue 2-1 to LevelControl and OnOff of the zigbee group of hue lights, but to endpoint 2, because there is no endpoint 1 showing. I am on switch firmware version 2.15 and I’m on Home Assistant 2023.8.4.

The switch turns on and off the lights in the group, and dims them, but there’s no updating the switch when the group updates via home assistant. I saw elsewhere this may be due to being bound to endpoint 2, but I see no endpoint 1

1 Like

Is it possible to see the binding groups after you bind them? I think I did it right, but want to confirm.