Compatible Bulbs for Dimmer Switch (Gen 2)

@Eric_Inovelli I think Hubitat use MediaWiki, and is what I was really hoping for. The formatting in Discourse due to width constraints is a little kludgy.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

Does it show up like this for you on mobile?

Seems kinda hard to navigate :frowning:

Yeah not great on mobile. I just think being able to sort becomes more important as the list hopefully grows until it’s massive.

That said, it’s workable with the built in filters you added for bulb type, as that’s the most important.

I just purchased (4) Cree 60W equivalent A19 5000K (daylight) bulbs (TA19-08050MDFH25-12DE26-2-12). They work great with the Red Series dimmer. According to the compatibility notes, the other colors of these bulbs dim down to 15%. The 5000k only go down to 38%.

Good news and bad news. Let’s start with some very good news. I found a florescent T8 LED replacement that is working perfectly with my Red dimmers, V2 (i.e. LSW31-SN). That is the Toggled T8 | T12 48" dimmable tubes. I got two sets of the 6500K 2000 lumen ones from Home Depot. I replaced the fluorescents today then changed the Dimming Speeds in Hubitat to 0 by software, 3 at the switch and the Ramp rate for both via software and at the switch to 1 and 1. Model D416-65321-2. Rev 2. BTW, as with most LED replacements you have to remove the existing ballast. They also come with new tombstones, but my electricians didn’t need to use them. I saw on the Wiki that there were zero Tubes listed with the Red dimmers, so I hope this can be helpful to a lot of people.

Now the bad news. I tried the GE Ultra bright candelabra dimmable lights, 100 W replacement, 810 lumens, 5000K. They don’t flicker at full power, but do flicker a bit as dimming up or down and hardly dim at all.

Even worse, the Cree 75 W replacement, 7000 lumens, 5000k dimmable LEDs don’t flicker, but then don’t dim at all.

I have some Feit 40 watt replacements that dim fine, but they are only like 2700 K and I’m looking for something much brighter (75 W or 100 W) and cooler (i.e. 5000K or higher)

1 Like

This is P.S. as I can’t save the edit to my own post for some reason. I tried the GE and Cree in the fan light but didn’t realize they work on different technology than the Red Dimmers.

2nd P.S. I don’t know why I couldn’t find it before on Amazon, but I finally found that Feit does sell 2 packs of 75 W, 5000K candelabra base bulbs. I just ordered them and will report back once they come in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y2Q7SXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

What is the model number for these? Also, did those work on your red dimmers?

I did a post on the “rewards” page that the Toggled LED tubes I bought work with the Red Series V2 dimmers.

I did a post on the rewards page that both the 40 watt and 75 watt candelabra bulbs work with the fan/light switch.

Can anyone lend a hand on how I can find out if these bulbs that my electrician plans to use for my new home build will work with my red dimmers?

These are the bulbs - https://www.satco.com/s29312.html

Is there a set piece of information I am looking for to determine if these will work with the red dimmers or is it just a guess and check game that I might potentially regret later?

Unfortunately, it’s more of the latter. But the good news is there there are a couple compatibility lists you can consult, containing user reports of inserts that work. The bulbs you referenced are just 5 or 6 inch can inserts so your electrician can still use the cans he’s accustomed to. I didn’t see Satco on any of the lists. You might be better off asking your electrician to buy a tested model or buy them yourself.

There are several lists to check. The first is the bulb compatibility chart. The second is a list that Inovelli has compiled in anticipation of a new app. (The Wiki embedded app doesn’t seem to be up right now but I’ll post the link.)

Is there any specific guidance for finding the max and min on bulbs?

I’ve got a red dimmer connected to 4x Feit bcpeBR30/DM/LED that came with my house. Bulbs are fine, but I understand Feit may not be well supported. They seem fine at 100, but have a sudden jump down in brightness at 50. They go to about 20 when starting from 100, but from 0, 20 does not work. It really seems like they have only a couple brightness levels that work without flickers. Neutral is installed, but no bypass.I’m controlling via Home Assistant.

Was trying to find the right max/min, but it seems like I’d have 2 or 3 levels specifically only. Wondering if I should just replace the bulbs instead or if it’s worth finding the right max/min.

I’m hoping @EricM_Inovelli will add a firmware option to blip the power to 100% then drop to min level. That’s how my old dumb dimmer worked. It’s definitely a shock to the eyes but allows you to set a much lower dim level from off.

I don’t think finding or setting a max/min is going to do anything with the illumination jumps that you are seeing. All setting the min does is ensure that when the dimmer turns on it is not spending time ramping over a range that won’t cause the bulb to illuminate. The max is self-explanatory.

I would look at the bulb compatibility chart and find a bulb that is a better fit. Inovelli was supposed to improve on that with a better version, but I don’t know what came of that.

Hmmm, this might be something that can be added to the driver. I will look into it.

1 Like

Posting confirmed working beautifully 10W LED recessed downlights review for the good of the cause:

• Specific Make/Model: LA-LED JC-LED4"-S105KWH-IC
    Generic model found on amazon: Green Canada LED 4Inch 9W, this is the same light likely made at the same factory but sold under many different brand names across Canada.
  • Using a Neutral setup.
  • Not using a bypass.
  • Did not have to set any min/max settings.
  • Overall, I would highly recommend this lights. Simple plug and play. Smooth dimming with no flicker until about 5% brightness, and even then its barely noticeable. FeelsGoodMan
1 Like

I purchased a few [8 packs of Reveal A19 60w equivalents](Reveal 60-Watt EQ A19 Color-enhancing Dimmable LED Light Bulb (8-Pack) https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Reveal-60-Watt-EQ-A19-Color-enhancing-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-8-Pack/1000442853) and have them in several of the same 4 bulb fixtures on circuits connected to single pole Inovelli Red Dimmers. Haven’t had any issues with any of them until now when I found that one of the rooms with this setup will not shut off. The four bulbs remain dimly lit when off.

This is a newer dimmer that I received recently and it’s on firmware 1.57.

The switch is configured with 0 ramp rate, removed delay for scenes, min 42, max 87, and neutral, but for some reason they won’t turn off fully on this one switch. Goal for this one was to treat as more of an on/off switch.

Just purchased a bypass to see if that helps, but figured I’d ask here in case there are other suggestions in the meantime.

If it’s leaking current, the bypass will get it fixed. I have these bulbs in as few as four to a switch without the issue you’re describing. Maybe set the minimum to a lower number and see if that has an impact.