Firmware v1.47 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

I’ve done quite a few over the years. My current rig is based on a Ryzen 7 1700x in a ITX Cube case. I’m thinking a tricked out threadripper system next time around.

1 Like

Do you have these devices in a 3-way dumb switch setup? There is a modification when the dimmer is in 3-way dumb switch mode to stop certain random shutoffs when a false positive switch toggle was detected. Could that be the issue?

@amdbuilder yeah right LOL. I think the problem might be that the device is certified against the SDK version that it is built on and not future SDKs. Since inclusion and Smart Start are part of the SDK there really isn’t much we can do other than having the Z-wave alliance fix it.

Yes they are in three way dumb switch mode. Switching to load only bumps them up by 15% in the exact same way that switching to non-neutral did as I described above. Almost all my dimmers are in three way dumb and all are neutral.

Finally got finished updating all of my switches. While doing so I found a small bug and thought I would let you know.

I have STv3, and using Webcore for all of my automations. After updating all of the switches stopped executing the automation configured on Button (Push or Held) #2 and #3. After some debugging I figured out that the Button #2 was returning False even though it was clicked twice, essentially it was only registering a single click.

I figured out it was because I had my switches “Ramp Rate (From Swtich)” was configured with 0.

Updating the value to 1, and all the automations started working again.

Hi - Wondering if there will be any more bug fixes before release? I have around over 60 switches to do so, trying to be patient and wait for a release. Thanks!

Definitely at least one - a major fix in the Z-Wave SDK to correct S2 issues.

1 Like

I am still creating the community post and the black series KB article, but here is the link for the S2 fix.

3 Likes

Thank you for putting this out! So dimmers on 1.47 firmware only needs the target0 to be updated? The bin doesn’t need to be patched?

Correct.

1 Like

Guessing this update doesn’t help my issue with the neutral & dumb switch configuration being ~15% dimmer than before?

No, I’m sorry but it does not. I do have more information about that though. I spoke to the engineer about this and the reason this is happening is that this prevents false positive 3-way toggles which were causing bulbs to shut off unexpectedly. This sometimes happens in 3-way dumb switch mode.

I am curious that when you switch it to non-neutral mode does the 3-way still work with the dumb switch?

In non-neutral mode the 3-way no longer works. Dumb switch needs to be in a particular position for the smart switch to toggle the lights vs working properly with neutral mode. Thanks!

I can’t seem to search this topic well. I have a new lzw31-sn (red) that I updated to 1.47. I am trying to update target 1 now, and if finished the upload but never finishes applying the patch. I am using a z-stick attached to my laptop. I got 2525 of 2525 written. It now reads Rx FIRMWARE_UPDATE_MD_GET + 01 09 DD
And has been stuck here for 15 minutes now.

@apwelsh -Make sure you’re using PC Controller 5.39.

2 Likes

Like @harjms mentioned sounds like you might be using an older version of PC controller. You can create a Silicon labs account for free and then click on this link to get the latest version:

https://siliconlabs.force.com/s/validatezwsdk?ContentId=0681M000006WUzV%20&ContentType=SDK&rURL=https%3A//www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/z-wave/embedded-sdk.html

1 Like

I updated to the latest PC Controller and now it only uploaded the excpected 300+ packets. This is better. It took the update this time. I actually typed this 15 minutes after my last post, and it has been sitting here waiting for me to press send. :slight_smile:

1 Like

After updating to the latest firmware, I’m still having trouble with dumb LED bulbs flickering if I set the level over about 55-60%. This is in a neutral setup. Anything I should be looking for in the settings that might help?

@Jake21, what type of bulbs are you using? Have they flickered on other firmware versions? Sorry if you have already told me this info.

Hi @EricM_Inovelli,
No worries. They are 4 LED candelabra bulbs in a ceiling fan fixture, listed at 3.8W each. They flickered with firmware 1.35(?) as well, I think that was the original firmware they shipped with.

I have two more red series dimmers in other rooms with 3 of the same types of bulbs, also ceiling fan fixtures, and those don’t flicker. I had swapped the dimmers, same issue. I tried taking bulbs from the rooms without issues and putting them into the trouble room, but same issue still. So maybe it’s something with the total wattage? Previously I had a GE Enbrighten zwave plus dimmer controlling the ceiling fan lights, and was able to use the full intensity range without any problems. Not sure if that’s helpful or not. But I like the red series dimmers too much to switch back!

Thanks

1 Like

That is so weird. So 3 bulbs in a different room and you have no flicker, but 4 bulbs in the problem room and they do flicker? I’m guessing you have tried removing one bulb to match the other room (so you have 3 instead of 4) and have the same results? I’m wondering if a bypass module would make a difference.