LZW31 not working after firmware update, including the physically using the switch

That did it!
Started the update process however it wont upload

This was not the case when doing it as a secondary controller

Did you happen to simply try to upload the firmware again before doing all the resets and unpairing?

Yes, i did.

First thing i tried before starting this thread

Since trying the FW upgrade with the unable to receive error - i now cant poll for FW version.

I tried removing and readding the device. No difference

Try removing, resetting the the PC Controller, long press on config (like 45 seconds if you can’t see the LED), then re-add.

How close is the computer to the switch?

Is the back of the switch accessible? Can you take a pic?

I’d also hash the bin and otz and compare the MD5 to the posted value to insure you’re working with a good download.

This is exactly what I experienced with my Red Series dimmers - including the FW polling issue you’re having.

Curious if this approach would work for you. Basically, exclude it and readd it using S0 security. I don’t know why it worked, but it did.

Good reminder. When you first add the switch and get the “Preparing Inclusion” dialog, you want to select “Cancel”. If you are already doing that, then perhaps the S0 version may work.

I tried resetting the controller, held the config button for a minute, then re-added it.
It’s very difficult to get a good angle, but here is the back of the switch:

I re-added using the S0 only method as mentioned by jazzisj
The upload is going very slowly, but is moving.

I’ll update the group once it finishes uploading, I let it reboot, and finish with the bin upload.

Thx for the pic. Just confirming . . definitely a black series.

Target 0 completed - I waited 5 minutes - just in case before trying Target 1 with the bin

When trying bin, it would send a command to the switch, but no transfer of packets.
I tried a GET and saw the error message below

Did you try the bin a second time? Mine never seems to go on the first attempt, but it always runs on the second.

Tried twice before trying the GET again.

If i restart the switch via flipping the breaker will i need to redo the target 0 upload, or can I just try Target 1?

No, just go to target 1 if you are satisfied that target 0 flashed okay. Some people make a practice of rebooting in between the two.

I’m not sure I’d say I’m satisfied since I have no idea how ‘successful’ it was.
After a power cycle, I selected Target 1, and the bin file and clicked update
This appears on the PC Controller, then I get this error again

Tried 4 times. it’s also a fresh download of the firmware. I just re-downloaded it a few minutes ago

I have never experienced that error.

@harjms do you think your air gap trick will help get around this error?

Edit:. If you search the forum for that error, there are several threads that discuss it. One user reported that an air gap and reset resolved the issue.

Possibly. Also I remember there was an issue with earlier versions of PC Controller. Thus wht I’ve stuck with 5.39 for so long and still recommend it over new one.

I tried airgap trick when I first saw that error, it didn’t work.
Tried it again after Bry’s post and it still didn’t make a difference

I was using an updated version of PC Controller, but will try an uninstall, and try the older version

So adding the device to the controller with S0 security worked for you? If so you’re the first confirmation besides myself. I’m wondering what the issue is that we both had this actually works. I’m also using the most recent version of PC Controller. Maybe that is it? I see @harjms is recommending an older version.

BTW it’s probably slower as there are 4X as many messages on the network with S0 security. Get your zwave controller and the device as close as physically possible then do a network heal to make sure your device has a direct connection to the controller. I use a laptop and stand right in front of the switch, usually it goes pretty quickly.

I’ve been using 5.39. Pretty sure @harjms is on the same.

1 Like

I’m working with a desktop so unfortunately not much room to get any closer.

With the older version of PC Controller, the behavior is the same.

Once target 0 update completes, it’s like the device becomes completely unresponsive.

A flip of the breaker appears to be the only way to get it to respond. Pulling the Air gap doesn’t work.

I’ve waited several hours after the Target 0 procedure in case the reboot took longer than expected. Still nothing.

The switch is about 40 feet from the USB.
In a pinch, i can try to borrow a laptop if we think that will make a difference.

Is there a way I can verify through PC Controller that Target 0 patch actually completed successfully?