LZW31-SN turns off randomly

I have a LZW31-SN and an dumb switch wired as a three way. It functions as expected except that the lights turn off by themselves. Sometimes its after 10 minutes, sometimes after 7, sometimes after 2. If I flip the dumb switch and try again, the same thing happens.

Is it a problem with the switch or wiring or bulbs? It’s weird that it works for a while. I removed it from my z wave network to see if that would help but it persisted.

2 Likes

I want to say I had a similar experience, but can’t be 100% repeatable. I did turn my kitchen lights on from the dumb switch, then had Alexa turn it down to 75%. When Alexa ran the command, the lights shut off, then back on and lowered to 75%. It was weird and wish it would status the switch first.

I excluded the switch again, excluded twice, excluded a third time, factory reset, then included it as an unsecure node.

It’s worked for the past 2 hours.

Still turning off randomly.

Here’s the log from Homeseer.

Nov-12 19:10:22 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 56.9 (56.9 Watts)
Nov-12 19:10:14 Device Control Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Switch to On (99) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
Nov-12 18:55:43 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)
Nov-12 18:49:15 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 54.2 (54.2 Watts)
Nov-12 18:49:06 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Switch Set to 99
Nov-12 18:49:06 Device Control Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Switch to On (99) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
Nov-12 18:48:27 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)
Nov-12 18:48:25 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights parent Set to OFF

18:49 I turn on the lights
18:55 The lights are off, no longer consuming power, the switch is still available on the network. I can turn it on immediately from the switch itself of from the app.

Are there automatic shutoff procedures built into the dimmer? I’m only consuming 60 watts.

Thanks,

Devan

There is a parameter but it doesn’t sound like you have anything input there, so I’m not sure what this is.

Have you noticed any pattern or is it just sporadic?

Nov-12 20:16:59 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)
Nov-12 20:16:57 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights parent Set to OFF
Nov-12 20:15:47 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 54.2 (54.2 Watts)
Nov-12 20:15:47 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights kW Hours Set to 0.367 (0.367 kW Hours)
Nov-12 20:01:27 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights kW Hours Set to 0.354 (0.354 kW Hours)
Nov-12 19:25:36 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights kW Hours Set to 0.321 (0.321 kW Hours)
Nov-12 19:15:50 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 55.6 (55.6 Watts)
Nov-12 19:15:44 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights parent Set to ON

The duration is random. I am noticing that the wattage falls right before the switch turns itself off. The Off command is from the switch, not from any other controller.

This is another cycle:

Nov-12 18:55:43 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)
Nov-12 18:49:15 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Watts Set to 54.2 (54.2 Watts)
Nov-12 18:49:06 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling lights Switch Set to 99

I have 5 BR40 bulbs. I’m not sure if they are CFL or LEDs or a mix.

I have the same thing happening on my dimmer switch. I have 2 can LED lights. I was running into a flicker issue when I had the max dimming level set to 100 which it is set to by default. I bumped it down to 95, and that seemed to stop the flicker that I was having. However, after about a day of using this, I was running into the shutoff. The logs I saw from Hubitat were the same, it showed that the switch was being turned off. My shutoff this evening was happening after about 10 seconds.

I reduced the max dimming level down to 90 and it stayed on for over an hour. You might want to give that a shot.

@EricM_Inovelli – anything you can think of here? It seems the switches are possessed.

Hey guys, let’s see if we can find anything in common with your setups. Does everyone have something other than the default value for “max dimming level”? Are there any other config options that are changed?

@EricM_Inovelli - I haven’t noticed any issue with the Inovelli turning itself off after turning the lights on from the dumb switch after lowering dimmer level down. I want to say it’s about 75%, but not 100% on that. I know it’s not set at the max level. The switch is configured to restore back to last dim setting.

1 Like

I have adjusted the minimum dimming level to 25 as that’s where my LEDs kick on. To help keep the light from shutting off I have lowered the max to 90, but the wife complained to me it still was shutting off. I then have lowered it to Max 80 to see if that helps.

I am using it in a 3-way configuration with a neutral and dumb switch. Power consumption says 17 from the switch.

1 Like

I’m having similar issues with 3 way w/ dumb switch with neutral.

Lights go out after 2 to 30 seconds. Then sometimes I can’t reproduce the issue at all.

What happens if the power originates at the dumb switch?

1 Like

Seeing same symptoms, except I’m using openHAB. Powered load is about 90 watts. If I lower to 80% max, the problem goes away, but anything above (even 82%) causes the lights to turn off after a few seconds.

Parameter settings: Neutral, 3-way dumb switch, min 40%

I should mention this behavior didn’t start until I changed the parameter to turn on 3-way capability. It was fine when configured as single pole. My guess is also some sort of thermal shutdown? If it helps, all original tabs are in place.

Either way, resolved temporarily by setting max bright to 80%

1 Like

I don’t know if it means anything, or if it is just the way the smart switch works, but when I would put my ohm meter on the dumb switch trying to figure out how it s wired, the smart switch would cycle the lights if certain contacts were probed.

Thanks everyone for the info. We are looking into the issue.

@Basalt are you saying the dimmer will turn on OR off based on probing the different contacts . . . or just off?

As I recall: Both depending on the state of the dumb switch. If the light is already on, it will go off. If the light is off, it will go on. When the probes are removed it returns to the state it was in originally.

I would re-test - but the lights have been working since last night now so I don’t want to mess with it lol.

1 Like

@Basalt, I totally understand. :wink:

We are working with the engineers to try and discover why you guys are seeing this. I also want to rule out just a faulty device. Has anyone had this problem with one device, swapped it out with a second one, and seen the same thing?

Can I get a few of you to give us the bulb type, manufacturer, rated load, and number of bulbs attached?

It may be from incorrectly reporting status. See my other post.

@EricM_Inovelli @Eric_Inovelli I may have something…sending you a private DM.

1 Like

My LED downlights were installed by my contractor so I don’t know the manufacturer or wattage. I just know I have 2 of them on one switch, and then 4 plus a chandelier with 6 candelabra LEDs on another switch. The other switch with 4 downlights and the 6 candelabra lights hasn’t had any problems with flickering or shutting off.

1 Like