AboutThis project is a massive undertaking to improve user experience across the entire Inovelli encounter (I had to think of a synonym for experience so I didn't use the word twice in the same sentence). As referenced in this thread: 2021 - The Year of Improved User Experience we will be working on improving everything from when you first enter the site all the way until you install your device. We realize that the smart home industry as a whole can be overwhelming and difficult to navigate. We want to change that. Not only for our products, but to help you with other products as well, leaving you empowered to create your dream smart home.
VisionAny user, despite their experience level or interest, should have a clear roadmap for building out their house as well as help to implement it.
AreasThere will be multiple areas we focus on in this project and as referenced in the other thread, it will be ongoing. Here's what we're focusing on in 2021 (NOTE: We'll be working on some of these simultaneously):
- Foundation - Get Your House Right
- Eliminating Noise - Only Show What’s Relevant
- Education - Videos, Tutorials, Knowledge-Base Articles, etc
- In-Store/Site & Post-Purchase Experience
FoundationThis is where we'll be spending the first part of the year and have hired someone to help us with this (welcome Donovan!). But as they say in Matthew -- we need to build our house on rock, not sand or the rain (aka competition) will knock us down and we'll drift away. So, time to get our house right.
What we’ll be doing here is the following:
- Forum Cleaning/Organizing (Eric started 02/18/21)
- Add tags, Proper Titles, etc
- UX Improvement for easy navigation
- Wiki Development
Knowledge BaseInovelli.com Cleaning/Organizing
- Add tags, SEO Metadata, Proper Titles, etc
- UX Improvement for easy navigation
- Support Upgrade for CS Reps
- Easy access to common issue articles for faster response time
- Chat and a dedicated phone number (will start with scheduling a time, then move to live)
- Automated Emails (more on this in the Eliminating Noise Area)
- Automated Support Emails that are more accurate
- Automated After Purchase Emails with relevant content to help with setup (ie: non-marketing)
- Transitioning our inventory program over to our ERP system (right now it’s separate)
- This will lead to a lot of automations (one example: when inventory is checked in, we’ll send an auto email to people who requested to know when inventory is back in stock)
Eliminating NoiseThis will be huge once implemented and hopefully there aren't limitations with our platform (fingers crossed). But the goal here is to eliminate data that's not relevant to you as a consumer. If you have a SmartThings hub, you don't want to sort through all the Hubitat and Home Assistant tutorials, or if you have a Ring hub, you'll likely want to know that the Red Series switch will work, but it will be limited in what it can do on your platform.
- Hub-Defined Experience
- Your site experience will be based on the hub you have (or don’t have) – ie: SmartThings users will be redirected to: smartthings.inovelli.com (note: not a live link) or something similar
- Your emails and communication from us will be hub specific – we want to target all communication around you, which should help you have clearly defined instructions
EducationNot only is there a lack of education in the industry, there's a lack of knowledge of what our products can do for you and that will change. As more and more people come to the site and are curious, we (Inovelli) need to do a better job explaining this. We haven't fully defined this area yet, but we've tossed around an idea of a Smart Home 101 where you can choose your own character (based on experience/goals) and that person will walk you through their journey.
In addition, we'll continue to put out tutorial videos, hub specific setups, etc.
In-Store/Site & Post-Purchase ExperienceYes, it does say in-store :slight_smile: -- more to come here as I can't spill the beans yet. But look for us in-store in the back half of the year (with a test run hopefully coming in the front half). We have some projects in place right now (currently working on) that will be a pretty big deal for our in-store play.
But the experience needs to encompass many things:
- Packaging – needs to capture attention, educate and drive to purchase in a matter of seconds
- In-Box Materials – need to make the installation a breeze
TimelineAs per the norm, the timeline is fluid lol. The good news is that we've been working on a few of these in 2020, so there is a start and I think we've come a long way internally so that we can now work on everything above.
I'll post our goals/timeline below and then cross them off in the above sections when they're complete.
Foundation Area = Complete in
Q1 May 2021
Eliminating Noise = Complete in
Q2 July 2021
Education = Ongoing – no end date
In-Store/Site & Post Purchase Experience =
Beginning Mid Q3
FeedbackAs always, we would love your help! If you have any questions around the above or see areas you'd like us to improve not listed above, please let us know. This project is going to be a major overhaul and we know we don't have all the answers or experience, so we'd love feedback.
Task ListHere's where I'll capture tasks for us to complete that we may not be able to get to right away.
- Support Page (Fan/Light Switch is different res/color than the other two) - fix the asset (thanks @dj13990)