Recommended Auxiliary switch?

Can anyone suggest a low cost auxiliary switch?

I will be using this in a 3 way configuration that does not have a neutral wire, and as the instructions insist, that I should use either a GE or Homeseer auxiliary switch.

1 Like

Is there a problem with either of those? :slight_smile: They’re the only two I’m aware of, besides Jasco (who makes them for GE; same thing–though there are two generations with the newest being “finless”) and Zooz, whose I think are discontinued (and may very well have been the same as either of the previous two, which are quite similar and also work with either brand) in light of the fact that most of their switches now don’t–and can’t–use them.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately, we’ve only tested on those two and as @BertABCD1234 mentioned, those are really the only two manufacturers/companies that produce them.

I just received a Lutron one the other day and will test it on Monday, but it’s about the same cost as the others.

Hopefully next year we can come out with one that’s lower cost as I’m assuming both brands above are making a killing off of them!

1 Like

See my review of an Enerwave aux switch here Dumb switch for 3 or 4 way setups?
Working with a LZW30

1 Like

Thanks @automate @Eric_Inovelli and @BertABCD1234 !

I read the instructions as noted. To be specific, is this the correct GE model: 45610WB-Z for non-neutral installation (with the supplied Aeotec bypass in the circuit)?

I’ll look into the ZW3K-N as well

Correct me if I’m wrong but you said that you are planning to use the switch in a 3 way configuration without a neutral wire, the instructions state that you can only use the switch in a single pole configuration without a neutral wire.
Here is the quote from the instructions for the wiring diagram without a neutral wire:

You cannot use this switch in a 3-Way or any other multi-switch setting with a, “dumb” (existing) or auxiliary (add-on) switch
(please use another Inovelli smart switch and see the site for installation instructions – smart switch must be able to have the
relay disabled). Please reach out for further explanation

Thanks @Pdub2k, but my instructions say something a little different:

“You cannot use this switch in a 3-Way or any other multi-switch setting with a, “dumb” (existing) switch. You can use an auxiliary (add-on switch made by GE or Homeseer or use another Inovelli smart switch and see the site for installation instructions – smart switch must be able to have the relay disabled). Please reach out for further explanation.”

Could you show me where it says that or take a picture? I’m worried now that the manufacturer printed an older version (or maybe there’s one floating around online that I need to take down).

Sorry for the confusion, but you can definitely use an aux (add-on) in a non-neutral setting :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli

I copied it from the Quick notes section on page 5 of the LZW31-SN installation sheet that I downloaded from this site a few days ago.

I just went looking for it again and this site has now substituted the LZW30-SN installation instructions for the LZW31-SN installation instructions when you try to download them.

I still have the original file I downloaded and can send it to you.

Ah – ok, let me fix that – thanks for catching it!

1 Like

Were you able to test Lutron ad-on switch? Was it Maestro Companion switch?

@Eric_Inovelli curious if the GE add-ons will also work with the Red Series dimmers? Also, given what I’ve read elsewhere, the add-ons won’t trigger scenes, correct?

Hey no, not yet. But I just put it in my calendar for tomorrow!

It’s this one:
Leviton DD00R-DLZ 120VAC 60 Hz Decora Digital/Decora Smart Matching Dimmer Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AFU1KOY

@feens - great question. Yes, the GE add-ons will definitely work (and it’s what we recommend). Correct, they will not trigger a scene unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

Can this be added in the future with a firmware upgrade?

Also, will the hold to dim light work on the aux?

1 Like

@Automate - Check out this video. https://youtu.be/n5XCJcoF6FE

Yeah definitely, I’ll add it to the page right now :slight_smile:

Edit: Added here

@Eric_Inovelli

Is there an ETA of when the LZW31-SN installation instructions will be fixed on this site?

Definitely interested in activating scenes from an auxiliary switch! I would love to not have to rewire my home depending on if I am using my RGBW smart lights or I’m using the switch to control dumb lights. Haven’t yet found a z-wave switch that does this either so it would definitely be an advantage for Inovelli!

1 Like

Any word if the Leviton aux switch (non-dimmer) will work? I just wired up my LZW30-SN and the aux switch will not work. It was working perfectly with my Leviton smart switch. The Inovelli switch works fine by itself wired in a 3 way configuration.

Did you ever test the DD00R-DLZ? I’m looking to buy some of the red series dimmers, and have a few of the DD00R-DLZ AUX switches. Curious if I can keep using them.