Wife approval factor (WAF) < 1

My wife often hits the config button first instead of the paddle when trying to turn on the light switch. This of course blocks the switch from turning on the light. This then leads to a discussion about the usefulness of home automation in general. PLEASE is there a way to block or disable the config button.
If the wife is not happy…!
…Aaron

You can sand it down like some people or 3D print a low profile one

Also, I built a rule in Hubitat that if config button pressed to turn light on it off or turn it off if on.

2 Likes

Go 100% motion based. We don’t touch light switches anymore really. I’ve also read some people flip their switches upside down for this problem.

1 Like

It takes 8 consecutive presses of the config button how to disable local control. So @ harjms suggestion to trap the first one as a scene is a good solution. If you don’t like that, you might consider a rule that if local control is disabled on the switch, you turn it back off. That way, the config button will not effectively disable local control and the paddle presses will always work.

Thank all for the ideas. Since I rarely use it I’m going to just sand it down.
Again thank you.
…Aaron

2 Likes

Honestly, I had the same issue. The other half kept complaining the switch wouldn’t turn on. Logs show (and dont lie) that she was hitting the wrong button when walking into the room blindly. Easy mistake. It literally just took some muscle memory and after a couple weeks, it was no longer an issue. Guests on the other hand…

1 Like